installing a new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone give me some advice on installing a new consumer unit please? I understand that it must be screwed to a wall with a fireproof backing such as timber. Is this correct and if so where do I get a piece of fireproof timber? I live in the south east of London.

Sponsored Links
First of all wildcat, you have to decide whether you are up to the job. This is by no means a simple and straightforward task and mistakes cannot be made. If you feel you are competent to do this work yourself post some details of your general situation here and we will be glad to help.

In answer to your question, chipboard is fire retardened, but this is really a minor issue, and i would be surprised if the regs require it’s use with a modern board. They certainly don't in ireland.

wildcat said:
Could anyone give me some advice on installing a new consumer unit please? I understand that it must be screwed to a wall with a fireproof backing such as timber. Is this correct and if so where do I get a piece of fireproof timber? I live in the south east of London.

I am sorry to say but the fact that you asked (at least you asked) shows that you do not have enough understanding of how to safely complete the job

Wildcat, I hate to burst your bubble, but timber is not fireproof.

That leads one to nthe conclusion you do not possess the knowledge to do this job as Breezer and BR have postulated.

CALL AN ELECTRICIAN..IT'LL BE SAFER IN AND CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN

Sponsored Links
I resent the suggestion that I am not qualified to install a new consumer unit. I have successfully rewired a total of 5 houses; the most recent of which was tested by an independent body. I can certainly replace a consumer unit. I know timber is not fireproof per se but I thought there may be an injection process that made it so.
I just need to know whether the regulations have changed and now require a fireproof backing material between the wall and the consumer unit.
I wrongly assumed that this formum was for intelligent people to pass on their expert knowledge to those who are less expert but highly competent.
Please don't give me any more inept responses.
Thanks.

wildcat said:
I wrongly assumed that this formum was for intelligent people to pass on their expert knowledge to those who are less expert but highly competent.

your assumption was NOT wrong, how ever you forgot we are NOT mind readers, nor are we able to fortell the future. you came here asking a question which in itself shows you have no or little knowledge, what you overlooked (and now have the "hump" about) is your own shortsitedness in your assumption that we would all know what you have previously done I have successfully rewired a total of 5 houses

how were we to know what you have done prior unless you tell us as you have now so done, then you whinge at the replies for your error

i have only one thing to say "MARVELOUS"

wildcat said:
I resent the suggestion that I am not qualified to install a new consumer unit. I have successfully rewired a total of 5 houses; .

Wildcat, there is a difference between QUALIFIED and CAPABLE.

You may be capable but you are certainly not qualified.

As breezer has pointed out, how are we to know you have rewired 5 houses?

I have a question, IF you have rewired 5 houses..How come you need advice putting up a consumer unit?

You may resent the replies you were given originally, but look at the information you did and didn't give in your post, you are asking for information to do something that highly dangerous if done incorrectly, so please don't give that holier than thou, hurt feelings bull.

Wildcat

Buy a copy of the latest regs and IEE on site guide and maybe even join a course in regs familiarisation. This will help you in your understanding of the problems faced by installers of electrical equipment.

This will enable you to rewire your sixth house with greater confidence.

ban-all-sheds said:
FWL_Engineer said:
You may be capable but you are certainly not qualified.
I suppose there is also a chance that he is qualified but not capable... ;)

Unfortunately, that is true in many circumstances.

Something I hope will change soon.

I bow to all you great electricians. I am sure that you are all experts in your own field and I apololgise for being so simple as to question your wisdom and to seek advice. I appreciate that your forum is not for the likes of us Charted Engineers and will refrain from visiting your forum again. Sorry for causing you so much angst.

Wildcat, your taking this rather personal which is, frankly, immature.

We are not being difficult or contrite for the shear hell of it, but if you actually read your ORIGINAL post you will, perhaps, then understand the reaction you got.

Maybe you should have explained that you are a CEng, and that you have rewired houses before but you were simply stuck on this one bit of info.

Would you rather we gave you information that made you think you could do a job you perhaps cannot, then killed yourself or someone in your family?

There is a fine line between giving out advice and giving out TOO much advice, as an Engineer you should understand that, regardless of your field.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back