Installing a new dishwasher, fused spur??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking at getting ourselves a dishwasher. Got a slight concern about electrics that I would like to ask about.

Below our worksurface is a 3 pin plate which our Washing is plugged into, and another plate that is blank which I think is a Fused Spur. Now above the work surface is another Fused Spur (Switched) and also 2 switches. One saying WASHING MACHINE, one saying DISHWASHER. Am I right in thinking that I can replace the Fused Spur underneath the worktop with a regular mains outlet that I can then plug the dishwasher into??

I've attached some pics below hopefully to help!!

The first pic gives you an idea of the area this dishwasher is going into (yeah its a mess at the mo... I took a cupboard carcass out earlier!). You can see the double plugs on the left hand wall, and on the right the Switched Fused Spur and also the 2 switches for the points under the worktop.

IMGP0869.jpg

IMGP0871.jpg

IMGP0870.jpg

These 2 pics show the underneath of the worktop and where the washing machine is currently plugged in, and the proposed socket (which is the fused spur) for the new dishwasher.

IMGP0872.jpg

IMGP0874.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes you are correct to assume that you could replace the unswitched fused spur under the worktop that is presently in place for the dishwasher as suggested on the switch above,

alternatively you could remove the 13amp plug and wire directly into the spur via the flex inlet. however this makes it more difficult when you want to pull out the appliance so maybe go for the socket.

work safely ensure you knock of the juice, dont just rely on the switch above the worktop!! :!:

work safely ensure you knock of the juice, dont just rely on the switch above the worktop!!

All done!! Thanks for your help guys... knocked off the electricity before working though, didn't fancy being frazzled!!

Dishwasher is in and working nicely... just a little problem with the door on the front of the machine hitting the plinth underneath but hey ho, I will find something to cure it!!

Sponsored Links
work safely ensure you knock of the juice, dont just rely on the switch above the worktop!!

All done!! Thanks for your help guys... knocked off the electricity before working though, didn't fancy being frazzled!!

Dishwasher is in and working nicely... just a little problem with the door on the front of the machine hitting the plinth underneath but hey ho, I will find something to cure it!!

Hi zim, this is a common occurrence with integrated dishwashers, you have to notch out the top of the plinth under the dishwasher, about 10-15mm down right across the space the dishwasher occupies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back