Installing a new toilet and washbasin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

As part of my master plan to make our house more saleable, I'm planning to fit a second toilet with washbasin in a small storage room downstairs, the room being about four feet wide by eight feet long.

Hot and cold water pipes are easily accessible for making connections, and the pan and cistern will be fitted against the one external wall. The existing soil pipe is on the outside of that external wall and a foot or so the side of the site of the new toilet, so I don't anticipate any serious problems with connection. The gas boiler is to the right of the spot where the toilet will be sited, and the gas meter is to the left, on the floor, with the incoming gas main pretty close by; although hopefully not so close that I'll need to have it moved. There's no window, so I'll need to put in an extractor fan. When installing a toilet and washbasin in a small, unventilated downstairs room such as this, are there any regulations I should bear in mind?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Well, I guess that the deafening silence indicates that no, there aren't any regulations that I should bear in mind.

There is, and the worst kind. As a new connection and not a replacement WC it will need to be notified to Building Control under Part G. Unless of course the work is done by someone who can self-certify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back