Installing a Security Camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I purchased this small motion sensor camera....with the intention of catching a serial offending dog walker and his lawn fouling dog.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V4CLWVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I was wondering if I could install it under the soffits and somehow down into the wall where the nearest outlet plug is....I have thought about just screwing it into the soffits and clipping the cable to go through the window (cable is only thin), but could look untidy.

Would this be easy enough to get under them and somehow done into the wall to be plugged in from the inside?

Sponsored Links
In your loft you will find cables, possibly for sockets but certainly for the lighting circuit. You can run a socket from here.

If you use the lighting circuit, label the socket prominently "Maximum Load 5Amps" "Lighting Circuit."

look down from the loft. Can you see between the eaves, and look down at the soffit? If so, just drill a hole

Sponsored Links
So, then how do you get the wire (once you've drilled and poked the wire through the soffit hole from the underneath) into the loft?
Imagine Im now outside my house, drilled hole, pushed my wire through....

Now said wire is sitting on the inside of the soffit, is it reachable from the loft? or is it just a case of trying to grab it with a retractable draw tape ?

Drill hole big enough for cable module 25mm.
Tape cable onto wire coat hanger and push up onto loft,use another wire coat hanger with bent hook on end to reach to loft void to get cable.
Are you using pre made extension wires?,If so may be earlier to push up onto loft and connect camera onto them once cables are in postion.The pre made cable on camera may not be long enough to come out soffit void.

For some reason didn't post my response earlier(depends on access and length of cable being used).

How long are the supplied cables.

camera to end of fly lead, power supply to camera, power supply to plug?

It may be easier to buy a extension power cord of say 5M thread this between the loft and the cameras connection and connect the other end to the supplied power pack, giving you a little more flexibility.

Depending on the age of the house, some soffit boards are asbestos sheet and best not drilled. Post 1970's should be safe.

The power cord is just under 3m in length.

This is my plan - run an extension cable from the camera point in the loft through the ceiling and into a fitted wardrobe in one of the bedrooms, feed the cable down the wall and into the nearest socket.

If you used something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smedz-10M-...f=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=dc+12v+power+cable

between the camera and the power supply you may find it easier, and just plug one end to camera and other to the power lead?

It will also make it easier if you want to disconnect it to swap it or move it later.

I don't know how far to your sockets is, but if at the bottom of your inside wall, it could be 2.5M plus unless they are low ceilings from ceiling to socket, plus the wall to the sofit etc whilst it will reach could be a little tight at times.

Does that cable connect onto these ends?

Actually, rather than feed down and disrupt a bedroom, I may as well feed it across the loft and down into the garage to the socket there, no issues with aesthetics and dangling cables in there! I will need circa 20m of length I reckon.

you can buy re made or make some yourself, but if you check ot has both ends when purchasing like in above link then you be fine, think they did a 20M one also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back