Motion detection on CCTV cameras.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have bought/installed a cctv sytem 10 days ago and most of it is running ok apart from the motion detection side of things.
I mostly get 400/500 detection notifications a day and i have not set up email notification yet which is a good thing at the mo.
The motion detection is on the lowest setting and i have reduced the area for detection on all 3 cameras and during the day most of the detection is either animals or the sun making shadows or leaves falling from trees.
At night the front camera faces the drive and a lot of detection is from car headlights as i am near to a t-junction.
I have tried adjusting the settings in the past few days but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.
I dont want to set up email just yet as i dont want hundreds of emails in my inbox to sort out. I will get a new email address just for the cctv alerts. The model is in the link if that is of any help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-M...59&sr=8-4&keywords=h.view+cctv+camera+systems

Thank you for any help you may have for me.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid what you are describing is pretty much par for the course behaviour of motion detection features on the external cameras of a budget CCTV system. The cameras can't differentiate people from trees/bushes swaying, rain, insects, sun coming out, so the slightest change in the image results in a notification/email. Unless you get into proper video analytics software (£££), you're unlikely to reach the point where the built in motion detection is anything approaching stable.

If you really do want reliable means of notification, external PIR sensors are a much more stable option. I've had some luck with the line crossing detection on my Hikvision system at home, but you'd have to change your entire system over. It's not totally infallible, however...

Also what you will find on a lot of cheaper systems the motion dectection you set on the NVR/DVR can't relay to the cameras.

What I mean by this is the areas, the NVR/DVR will show you a picture of your camera and you click the squares you want motion detection to be in however what is really happening is you are turning motion detection off or on and them area selections mean absouletely nothing.

You can test this by putting the area on half the camera and making something move in the other half and it will probably count that as detection even though you have not selected it. My old system and the system I installed for a friend were both budget POE systems and did this. There was a thread either on here or somewhere else giving an in depth explanation.

Sponsored Links
Also what you will find on a lot of cheaper systems the motion dectection you set on the NVR/DVR can't relay to the cameras.

What I mean by this is the areas, the NVR/DVR will show you a picture of your camera and you click the squares you want motion detection to be in however what is really happening is you are turning motion detection off or on and them area selections mean absouletely nothing.

You can test this by putting the area on half the camera and making something move in the other half and it will probably count that as detection even though you have not selected it. My old system and the system I installed for a friend were both budget POE systems and did this. There was a thread either on here or somewhere else giving an in depth explanation.

I played around with the settings last night and on the back garden and side cameras i did not have too many alerts.
The front was less alerts but i still think thats from the headlights as i cant see any animals or people in the clips.
I did put a box detection on the edge of what i wanted to detect and not a block covering the whole of the driveway and seems to have reduced false alerts. I have done the same side and back but on the back i reduced the IR setting.

I'm afraid what you are describing is pretty much par for the course behaviour of motion detection features on the external cameras of a budget CCTV system. The cameras can't differentiate people from trees/bushes swaying, rain, insects, sun coming out, so the slightest change in the image results in a notification/email. Unless you get into proper video analytics software (£££), you're unlikely to reach the point where the built in motion detection is anything approaching stable.

If you really do want reliable means of notification, external PIR sensors are a much more stable option. I've had some luck with the line crossing detection on my Hikvision system at home, but you'd have to change your entire system over. It's not totally infallible, however...

I wish i had spent more but my budget was not much after i got an intruder alarm and got better locks for gates and extra window/door security. There have been over 40 break ins/attempted in a half mile radius in the past 6 weeks and most were in the day time and some residents were at home when they tried to break in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back