Cost effective CCTV solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking to set up a cost effective CCTV solution. I need 2 external cameras and 1 internal. I have a "spare" PC which could be hooked up to run some sort of motion detection/capture software.

Any views on what I should go for - ideally spend should be at most £150.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Since you're already thinking about motion detection software you should go for webcams rather than CCTV cameras. Internal webcams are dirt cheap (I don't know about weatherproofed ones) and often come with the software you need. Long USB leads might be a problem but I'm sure there'll be a way round it. I would try the computer hardware forum. :) :) :)

Hi,
I'm looking to set up a cost effective CCTV solution. I need 2 external cameras and 1 internal. I have a "spare" PC which could be hooked up to run some sort of motion detection/capture software.

Any views on what I should go for - ideally spend should be at most £150.

:eek: :eek: You will be lucky to do that lot for £150. Especially if you want a PC based system.
Other alternatives are to buy a Cheap DVR (Digital Video Recorder), you could pick a four channel unit up for around £150, then some cameras and relevant cabling. Have a look on ebay for cameras, especially Asian sellers i.e. Chinese imports etc...
With all required cabling etc... you could do this for around £200-250.

:idea: :idea: On second thoughts, try pricing a DVR card for your spare PC, these cards may come with a basic software package (but you will need around 80-100Gb free space on the PC, depending on frame rates, file size and record duration) ;)

Sponsored Links
all the help you'll need from ''icatcher'' you'll have to google it otherwise it would be blatant advertiseing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back