Outdoor CCTV semi detached house recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought these for my parents house (terraced) and they do the job
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek-Security-Waterproof-Surveillance-Detection-Black-1080P/dp/B073GQ8T2L

one at the front and one at the back. cos they are "bullet" cameras however, they almost zoom in TOO Much lol.

For my house (semi detached) i am thinking the dome style cameras would work better as they cover more area.

but rather than an IP camera im open to a proper wired setup with a record box etc

EQUALLY i dont want to spend a fortune.
so what are thoughts on something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SANSCO-Rec...545388331&sr=1-9&keywords=outdoor+cctv+system

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOSI-Secur...45388331&sr=1-14&keywords=outdoor+cctv+system

appreciate your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
If you spend cheap you will regret it. My advice save some money and do it right first time with a trusted brand.

While the reviews may say surprisingly good, does what I need, not bad for the price etc etc.

It is more the reliability and how long they will last is what you should be thinking about. If you buy either of them systems I would almost bet by next Christmas you will be replacing them.

is there any particular reason you say that?

i too was surprised just how good the reviews are tbf!

but of course dont want a new system every few years!

when you say get it right - what should be my budget? what product should i look at? do you have a link?

semi detached house - maybe need 4 cameras?

2 at front
1 covering side access
1 at the back....?

Second the view of @lamchamps. Coupled with the fact that the reviews never cover longevity of the product, many of these cheaper manufacturers pay people to leave positive reviews on the websites so that they are "bumped up" on the review ratings list.

Better to search for forums on well-received models and see what people are saying about them. I haven't got home CCTV but I did this with my partner's car's dash cam and 3 years down the line it is still working well.

Sponsored Links
Can't go wrong with Hikvision for the price ...spend a bit more and buy a varifocal camera so you can set the angle / coverage you require , most are motorised and controlled from the dvr so you can tweak it without multiple trips up the ladder ..
Also think of harddrive size I spec 4tb min on a 4 way system

is there any particular reason you say that?

i too was surprised just how good the reviews are tbf!

but of course dont want a new system every few years!

when you say get it right - what should be my budget? what product should i look at? do you have a link?

semi detached house - maybe need 4 cameras?

2 at front
1 covering side access
1 at the back....?

I say that from experience my first system was cheap the system I fitted for a family member was cheap. Both failed around a year from fitting.

I upgraded both to Hikvision and have been so impressed.

Also friends, family and general places like here say how bad cheap is and wish they did it right first time.

For a half decent system with your requirements maybe £500-£1000. If you do all fitting yourself.

wow. that is a lot but you are right i of course dont want it to break.

that said my IP camera is a chinese product and works very well still!
i guess i will have to weight it up.

do you have a link to HIk vision suitable system ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back