Installing a swimming pool!

Already ordered a floating chlorine dispenser that comes with some test strips. It comes with a floor sheet and a cover. Hoping it will go on grass just fine ...

they wont be enough : you need to put a cup full of this in to start and then probably half a cup every few days.
https://www.poolandspacentre.co.uk/products/blue-horizons-stabilised-chlorine-granules.html

you need to mix with water before adding it to the pool.

Instead of solar mats, T-off your water pump to 100m real of black hose pipe. should be about 1kw on a hot day.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Sponsored Links
they wont be enough : you need to put a cup full of this in to start and then probably half a cup every few days.
https://www.poolandspacentre.co.uk/products/blue-horizons-stabilised-chlorine-granules.html

you need to mix with water before adding it to the pool.

Instead of solar mats, T-off your water pump to 100m real of black hose pipe. should be about 1kw on a hot day.

Cheaper for sure and make sure you wind the pipe into a huge flat spiral to ensure the thermal effect helps keep the heat in. Id be interested to see how that compares to the mats. For me it was also just easier to setup flat mats and i got mine via friend who bulk imported for £15each i think they've gone up alot now.

Well, this is my pool plot and random selection of slabs and things from around the garden.

Quite a few have smooth edges. Hopefully enough and all the perfect size ...

IMG_20200603_210335758.jpg

IMG_20200603_210358708 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Just an idea - don't put too near trees coz it will soon fill up with debris?

Sponsored Links
I am. Unless I got my maths wrong, 9000 litres should be about £12 with Essex & Suffolk water. Does that sound right?
£1.37 / cubic metre

Plus your sewage charge - usually 90% of whatever has gone through your meter

Nozzle

Yeah, but last yeah I did get a discount from sewage because I used water to water a new lawn. So hopefully if I tell them 9000 litres and it all evaporated or when in the soakaway .... although I would send it down the drain.

Trees - yes, will make sure nothing overhead and will cut those yes right back. That is mostly why this is the spot, as no trees hanging over in this bit of the garden.

Also, when it is not in use it will be covered. Cover will come off only when somebody wants to go in.

At least, that's the plan. SHould help keep it warmer and reduce evaporation too, and fewer bugs landing in it!

It's very important that the ground is as flat and level as possible. Any slope will put extra pressure on the down sided walls.
Invest in a good sand filter pump, economically it will be better than buying a cheap one and having to change the sand more often.
For heating we bought an air heater. Cost was near £700 but it paid for itself by the savings in electricity. Using the supplied 2.8Kw heater we couldn't get the temp over 21-22C
Using the air heater we could get it to 34+ overnight. The problem with our pool was it fed the heated water in at top level which created a lower cold level so we used to stir it with a large paddle before getting in. This tended to lower the temp to around 30-32C so was still comfortable.
Our pool was quite large, 12' x 16' x 4' deep so took a lot of water, (thankfully we were not on a meter LOL). Here are some pics taken during construction. I did have a few of the pool full and an adult in the water, which would have given some perspective of the size, but can't find them. Maybe if I tell you it took me 5 full crawl strokes to go from one end to the other you can get an idea. The plastic box housed the filter
& pump and the air heater was situated to the left of it
One final warning. DO NOT kick off from the side walls!

The bricks around the edge are roughly placed and purely decorative and hide the pipe works to the left.
P1000843.JPG
P1000848.JPG
P1000854.JPG

lucky you didn't die.

Sea survival course was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life. 2nd only to doing the South downs way double - in under 24 hours.

Sponsored Links
Back