installing direct combination cylinder

• Thread starter enfoiwnrfowneof
  • Start date
E

enfoiwnrfowneof

Hi, this weekends fun task is to replace our combination cylinder. the new one was delivered today, but i can't work out where the cold water goes in. there are no instructions with it and the gledhill website is no use.
this is what it looks like (if linking to photos on flickr works)

The holes on the front are for the immersion, drain off and hot water i presume, does anyone know where the cold water goes in?

thanks in advance! emily

Sponsored Links
You will need to drill into the top section to fit the ballvalve (water in) and the overflow in the positions to suit your existing pipework. The cold feed from the top section into the bottom section is internal.

ah ha, thanks, can stop fretting that they forgot to fit something else at the factory (they already forgot to install the immersion heater which i paid for). is the black thing in the top meant to pull out then so i can get my hand inside to fit the ball valve? didn't want to pull too hard incase i broke it!

Yes... Don't forgot full-bore service valves. if you have the choice do not use standard drain cocks. I like to fit a full-bore service valve with a bit of pipe and a speedfit cap on the end. That way you KNOW it'll work in an emergency.

Sponsored Links
one more question...

the overflow which came with the tank looks like it is designed to fit a flat sided tank, but the cylinder is, well, cylindrical. can you get ones which fit to the curve of the cylinder, or will the one that came with it be ok and not leak.

The 'flat' tank connector for the overflow will take up all right. it will pull the relatively large radius thin material of the tank flat as you tighten it up. it's probably only got to take up a couple of millimetres.

I suppose that this practice of supplying these without any holes drilled for the float valve or the warning pipe may be ideal for some.

However I would prefer to have them ready drilled !

I could much quicker pipe up to any position than find a way to cut a hole!

What do others think?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back