Installing Freestanding Bath - drainage via drilling hole in side skirting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,

Just in the process of choosing a new bath (freestanding slipper variety with bottom recess for plumbing, not external feet sort).

As I'm in a flat with concrete flooring and working with limited space (eaves an issue), I don't have the options to raise the bath with a plinth nor chisel into the floor. The option I am currently considering is to use a Uniwaste Universal Waterless Trap (only 75mm approx. space taken with 115mm available, so enough to angle down). I would then drill into the side of the bath next to the wall (so hiding pipework from view) and take the pipe out and join it up to main drainage inside a boxed channel.

I asked a bloke in a plumbing showroom about doing this and he said that it would affect the bath's structural strength and it could break. I mentioned that the bath had levelling legs inside the recess which supported it so surely this wouldn't be an issue but he didn't seem to think this made a difference. We're talking about a single 40mm hole.

Before I spend a chunk of cash on a bath and drill a hole in it, I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts, please? I have searched the net but can only find info on drilling tap hole which isn't relevant.

All help and thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I’ve had to do this once, I wasn’t happy about having to do it, but that’s what the customer wanted, so that’s what he got. Must of been in for about 7 years now and not heard anything from him.

Great to know @Baths'N'Gas. At least I only have myself to blame if there are any problems afterwards. I’d rather not have to do it but I figure with great care that the bath shouldn’t be overly weakened. Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. Out of interest, how close to the bottom of the bath did you drill?

Sponsored Links
I'm about to do this myself - have you done it yet?
One thought I had was that I could always strengthen the acrylic with fibreglass on the inside below and above the hole...

The bath doesn't sit on the sides of the bath, as you say, it sits on the legs that are attached to strengthened sections in the base of the bath. There shouldn't be any weight on the outside shell as it's not designed to take it. Only then would there be a concern of it cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back