Installing Halogen Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install Halogen lighting into my bathroom. Unfortunately I have a Victorian age building (1910ish). Is there any way of simply installing the spotlights into a lathe & render ceiling or do I need to drop it and install a plasterboard ceiling?

I cant install a false ceiling as the internal window abow the door adjoins the ceiling.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
If you are very careful in cutting out the holes and the plaster on the lathe is not to 'crumbly' then you might get away with it! ...this is assuming that you are fitting the small recess type and you have ample area above as the cables and transformer will have to be inserted within it.

A fine toothed hacksaw blade would probaby be best for the holes or a hole cutter on slow speed

Just another point to take into account ...if the area between the ceiling and the roof space or floor is small and also full of installation...the LV bulbs and transformer will generate alot of heat. Also if the cable is bunched and not spread out this will also cause a rapid buildup of heat in a confined area. If you have no circulation cooling this area, in the worse case it could cause a fire/Transformer blows/terminal blocks melt ....
Be Careful/Reconsider?....Fredy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. Bearing in mind the complications of drilling into possibly ancient plaster and also not knowing what lies in and around the light I will remove the existing ceiling. the gap between floorbaords and ceiling is approx 200mm which is ample space - by removing the ceiling I can ensure that the surround of the light fitting is insulation & debris free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back