Installing Hive to Ideal Logic Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just installed Hive active heating myself and as there is a lack of information on self installing to combination boilers I thought I would post an article to show how it’s done. So I had an existing thermostat with 3 wires, live, neutral and CH (ON) already linked to the boiler so it was a case of just swapping the wiring for the connection into the back plate for the hive receiver and then the critical part is to also wire a wire from the live on the hive receiver to pin 1 common on the hive receiver. Job done!

I have attached some photos of the existing thermostat wiring as well as the new hive receiver back plate so you can see how it is done and which wires go to which.

Attachments

• 8435B445-294B-4CF3-BAC1-E2EC5CA333A8.png
    8435B445-294B-4CF3-BAC1-E2EC5CA333A8.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 5,943
  • 983E4BD9-FFF7-4777-A49A-C817CEC0C7F0.jpeg
    983E4BD9-FFF7-4777-A49A-C817CEC0C7F0.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 16,889
  • C93BFEA1-A0B3-44C6-A8E5-9E076EA5E34A.jpeg
    C93BFEA1-A0B3-44C6-A8E5-9E076EA5E34A.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 5,662
  • 548FADEE-BB3B-45A7-8548-08C2C6389E17.jpeg
    548FADEE-BB3B-45A7-8548-08C2C6389E17.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 5,794
Sponsored Links
hi mate, I'm about to do the same install.. when you say "wire a wire from live on the hiver receiver to pin 1 common on the hive reciver" Are you meaning just a small jump link cable on the back plate between 2 pins (on the same back plate) ?

also, from your images... what is the image with the BLACK back plate?

thanks
Craig.

I just hope that whoever reads your post does not have volt free connections in their boiler.

thanks.. I managed to get this done by just adding power to the thermostat area and connecting it up to the hive receiver.. now I have the hive receiver and the thermostat positioned alongside each other on the wall.. happy days :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Adam87, sounds like I have a similar setup to you. I have tried everything you have suggested but nothing is working. The original thermostat had a brown cable feeding into a COM plug and back cable into a N/O plug. There was a grey wire (assuming neutral) that was fed back into the wall also.

Any suggestions?

Hi Adam87, sounds like I have a similar setup to you. I have tried everything you have suggested but nothing is working. The original thermostat had a brown cable feeding into a COM plug and back cable into a N/O plug. There was a grey wire (assuming neutral) that was fed back into the wall also.

Any suggestions?
Did you find the solution? As I have the same setup, but reciever wont turn on.

Hi need help installing a second receiver on my hive system

X2 things - should have started your own thread - original one is 2+ years old and do you mean an additional receiver for zoning?

Yes sorry new to this site I need to know can I just copy the wiring of the first receiver to the second one

One some thing wrong with what you show, there is a green/yellow wire connected to NO and the green/yellow wire at boiler goes to earth.

There is in theory no reason why you should not have a wall thermostat in every room all in parallel, idea is the wall thermostat turns the heating on, and the TRV turns it off and as long as the TRV is set higher than the wall thermostat it would work, but it is not required with Hive, as the TRV sends a "demand for heat" to the wall thermostat so it will not turn off if any room needs heat.

So first the basic idea is either you use an OpenTherm thermostat which Hive is not, or the thermostat is there to stop the boiler cycling in summer, it does NOT control room temperatures, it can turn heating on/off as required but it can't turn the heating up/down, you need an OpenTherm wall thermostat to do that.

Hive wall thermostat can work with old not modulating boilers as a room temperature control, but with a modulating boiler its main job is to turn off the boiler in warm weather, so it is set slightly lower than the TRV in that room, it really does not matter what temperature it could be set to 10°C as the TRV heads send a signal to the wall thermostat telling it to run, so once no TRV is sending it a signal it will turn off boiler.

If you want to zone your house using 2 or more stats you need 2 port valves installed in the pipework.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back