1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Hive Dual reciever & combi boiler

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by iiCe89, 9 Jan 2019.

1. iiCe89

iiCe89

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i have Valiant Ecotech pro 24 ( 2011 ) model boiler and Hive dual receiver i wired up however heating wont switch off i assume its because of wiring and its not controlling boiler.
    my old relay box to wireless thermostat was wired up like picture attached.

the Hive Reciever is wired up with Live / Neutral / Earth and common in 1 and Switch live in 3.

any ideas on why the boiler will now no longer switch off via hive unless i switch boiler off manually myself.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You say that you have a "Hive dual receiver". But....
    Is the way to wire up a single channel version, the connections are different.

3. iiCe89

iiCe89

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well i spoke to friend who works for british gas and suggested wiring up the way i did as i was given the hive hub so didnt get the choice in single reciever , however it wont switch boiler off

4. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You would have wired it correctly if you had a single channel Hive:
    1 = Common
    3 = Heating on

But as say that you have a dual channel Hive you have actually made the connections to
    1 = Hot water off
    3 = Hot water on

hive.jpg

The single channel version of the Hive is for combi boilers and provides control of the heating only.

The dual channel version of the Hive is for heating systems with control of the heating and separate stored hot water.

5. iiCe89

iiCe89

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes i am aware that its not single reciever however i know its also possible to use dual reciever i just need to understand where common and switch live need to go as its been done incorrectly ‍♂️

6. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The correct solution would be to exchange the dual channel for a single channel and leave the wiring as you have installed it. However, if you really must, you can use the Dual channel for just heating, but it's unprofessional and you will have hot water control that won't do anything. However, you ask.....

I refer you to the above drawing of the dual channel receiver, where you will see that unlike the single channel, there isn't a "common". With the dual version, that connection is permanently made inside the Hive so to advise you further, I would need to know which of the wires in your photo below is the permanent live and which is the switched live to the boiler. If you don't know, they can be tested with a multimeter.

wires.JPG

With your existing thermostat and the single channel Hive (both of which do have a common connection), it doesn't matter which which way around the wires go. As the dual channel Hive has the common connection made internally, it does matter where they go.

7. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You cannot use a dual channel receiver in place of a single channel receiver if the boiler uses ELV ( 24 volt ) switching. If you do then 230 volts will be put on the 24 volt control input of the PCB and that will damage the PCB

0x56.jpg

8. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The OP has already wired a 'dual channel' up as a 'single channel' and the boiler is working. [by working, I mean that it is coming on, albeit permanently] If it had been 24v he would have blown it up :eek:. He's fortunate!

However, when he checks it with a multimeter as I suggested, that will confirm.

9. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Could the input have been "blown up" and now presents a permanent "ON" command to the rest of the PCB and hence the boiler is firing up

10. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hmm good point. The ecoTEC Pro can be wired to have 24v or 230V control and the use of separate wires without the link as was done on his original thermostat could be used with either so is inconclusive.

The few occasions where I have seen boilers with 24v wired to 230V didn't work at all afterwards and the PCB had been damaged. I don't remember any of them being a Vaillant though...

Lets see what he says about the wires that were in A & B when he comes back.

Good diagram BTW, explains it far better than words.

11. iiCe89

iiCe89

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The boiler is ok it can be switched on/off via the button on boiler and seems the hive is having no control over boiler, However i spoke with friend and he's going to drop single channel receiver over so i can use the original way i started :) thanks for the diagrams and help :)

12. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good! best solution all round. (y)