Installing Kitchen Extractor hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to run in some ducting for a cooker hood in the ceiling space above my kitchen to the exterior wall but I have a small problem. The joists run the right way for me but at the end of them is more timber perpendicular to the joists (not sure what to call it, wall plate maybe or lintel?) that I would need to cut through. I cant see how they are joined at the moment, no nails are visible though. Its 8 inches deep. I dont think I am able to take it out the wall below the ceiling as the boiler flue is extracting there as you can see in this picture;

View media item 11916
Would I be able to cut through this if I braced it with timber nailed to the face of it or some sort of steel bracing? Rather than use 4" round ducting I was thinking the flat stuff would be a better bet and try and locate the hole near the centre of the timber (where I believe the lowest stress would be) like this.

Obviously none of this would be easy but I would much prefer it to using the recirculate function as the kitchen isn't huge and it gets pretty misty when cooking. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it between the joists, or do the joists butt up to it? If the former then it's probably a noggin, which you'll be ok with using your square ducting plan.

Is it between the joists, or do the joists butt up to it? If the former then it's probably a noggin, which you'll be ok with using your square ducting plan.

Ill try lifting the floorboard above it to check and see.

Sponsored Links
Well I lifted the floorboards and unfortunately the end beam has been checked and the floor joists are resting on it and fixed with nails. :(

So basically I dont think im happy cutting through this as I feel like I might cause untold damage to the structure of the house. Its just occurred to me however that I was planning a built in wardrobe just above the kitchen so what I think ill do is to run it along floor level and box it in with plywood or something. Since it will be inside the cupboard it will be hidden most of the time.

One last thing I was thinking though is would it be a bad idea to put another extractor outlet above where the boiler flue outlet is? Im thinking that theres the chance for CO to come back in through it and into the kitchen.

EDIT;

Actually ive just found out it needs to be 300mm from any opening, ill check and make sure im ok but I think I will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back