Kitchen Hood - Venting

24 Jun 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I've got to fit a new extractor hood in my kitchen. The hood will sit on an internal wall. I want to vent the hood rather than recirculate. I intend to run some ducting into the roof space above the kitchen, across the loft area and out through the eaves. Total run, from the fan to the external vent, is around 1800 - 2000mm.

What material do you recommend using for the ducting? Metal concertina-style ducting pipe, or rigid plastic? Also, I assume that I'll need to insulate the section of ducting that's in the loft?
Sponsored Links
Either will do, insulation may reduce condensing in the pipework during winter, but there should be sufficient air flow to avoid this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links