installing kitchen wall unit around a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my builder tells me that regulations do not allow him to install a wall unit around my wall mounted boiler. There as previously a unit there which was removed when the kitchen was gutted. The boilder is an eyesore. what is the solution?

Sponsored Links
Nonsense, unless the boilers instructions explicitly say not to. They usually say something like "leave a 50mm airgap all around the unit for ventilation" or something like that.

He's probably just trying to save himself the hassle. Non joinery adept types would find this a bit tricky to do well and look good. It basically involves hacking an existing wall unit about or getting some panels and b@stardising a new one.

If you leave the top open (cut a big hole in it), plus the aforementioned gap around the sides (read the manual!), and maybe a couple of decorative louvre vents in the side of the panel/door then it will be perfectly ok.

The only thing you need to factor in is access for boiler maintenance, anything that goes up there should be easy to remove without too much fuss.

there's no reg for it however

If you are going to do this make sure it can be removed easily. a boiler is guaranteed to have some maintenance on it and it would not be a good idea to make it difficult to carry out.

it all depends on what type of boiler it is as well, is it an open flue boiler??? or is it a balanced flue one ? if you box in an open flue one it comes under compartment ventilation requirements and will need to be adequately ventilated also with vents to the outside wall to comply with gas reqs on ventilation so there are a few problems with cupboards around boilers most modern boilers as you know are balanced flue and no ventilation requirements are req ony sometime cooling vents and that depends on the make of boiler most now run a cooler casing so there is no fire risk any more
as others have said it sounds like he is botherd about cutting the cupboard about to fit always go with the manufactures instruction as they know best with there own appliance if you do as they say it will be ok as far as regs are concerned
I once had a corgi inspector told me a cupboard was to close to a boiler and said it needed 50mm gap and i had left a 10mm gap after a couple of words with him just to proove him wrong i showed him the maufacturing instructions and thats the min gap that was req so it just goews to show go with the manufacturers

Sponsored Links
This is my two pence worth and as a drawing is worth a thousand words I have included a drawing to try and explain a little better but please note the drawing is not to scale it is just a general arrangement drawing.

When I get a requested to design and construct a unit to cover a boiler. I first do my best to include in the top and bottom an air ventilation gap as big as possible. But not only that I construct the sides of the unit with semi concealed ventilation gap. I do this by constructing the side as you would a framed cabinet door but with out the centre panel. The panel is replaced by a 12mm set some 5mm off the back of the door frame this allows a clear 5mm gap all round the panel. The inner 12mm panel is fixed in position using a minimum of 6 wood screws one in each corner and in each of the long side of the inner panel with the spacing maintained by off cuts of 15mm copper tubing or similar. And as already stated you position the side panels at the boiler manufactures recommended distance.

This method of construction gives the look of a framed panelled side to the unit you can use the same construction method with the door and the second side, but at the same time giving extremely good ventilation to the boiler.

http://www.alanwakefield.co.uk/johnapp.pdf

Mine is no-where near as complicated.

Side panels to match the kitchen (same height as wall cupboards but deeper front to back. 600mm door to match kitchen. Top and bottom are 50mm rails at the front trimmed to match the kitchen. Sides are fixed to wall at top with adjustable brackets like the other cupboards, at the bottom by KD blocks.

Meets boiler instructions (BF) and loads of ventilation around the Boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back