Installing Loft Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a loft light. I was up at the weekend scoping the job out.

I currently have a junction box in the loft that the previous occupant had installed. This appears to tap into the existing circuit (landing light). This JB then has a feed to a switched FCU which controls the outside floodlight (on a sensor).

This is what I propose to do:-

Tap into this JB and take a new feed (1mm T&E) to a new pendant rose. Then from the pendant rose to the new switch. ‘I’m thinking of doing it this way as then I have a switched live to my new light rather than taking a feed to the switch and connecting the neutrals together at the switch then to the pendant.

Would this be a correct method of doing this?

Could I use a pull cord switch?

Sponsored Links
I currently have a junction box in the loft that the previous occupant had installed. This appears to tap into the existing circuit (landing light). This JB then has a feed to a switched FCU which controls the outside floodlight (on a sensor).

You need to ensure that it is the lighting circuit that the jb is on. If there is an FCU from it to feed the outside light then it may be a "socket" circuit and the mcb will not protect the 1mm twin and earth.

Yes to both,tho no doubt you will get postings quoting part "P" This is a diy forum after all.

Sponsored Links

You need to ensure that it is the lighting circuit that the jb is on. If there is an FCU from it to feed the outside light then it may be a "socket" circuit and the mcb will not protect the 1mm twin and earth.

Yeh cheers, will do :D

If I decide to go with the switch rather than pull cord, can i just choc the earth wire as its a plastic switch box?

Yes to both,tho no doubt you will get postings quoting part "P" This is a diy forum after all.

Its not notifiable so why would anyone bring it up?

I am going to do a BAS (RIP).

Building Regulations Part P applies to ALL electrical work in domestic premises.
The issue is that, for this works, you are notrequired to notify the work to the Local Authority.

wait... why RIP? has something nasty happened to BAS?

say it isn't so.. who will we argue with about the interpretation of Part P and specific regs now?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Its not notifiable so why would anyone bring it up?

I am going to do a BAS (RIP).

Building Regulations Part P applies to ALL electrical work in domestic premises.
The issue is that, for this works, you are notrequired to notify the work to the Local Authority.

And mentioning it in a thread where the person has no obligation under part p to notify serves what purpose other than to serve your do gooder mentalitys. Most of the peoples post counts on this forum seem to be from spamming part p regardless of whats being discussed.

you still have to comply with part P regardless of whether you have to notify the LABC.. it's not just a list of what you have to or don't have to notify..

in it's basic form it states...

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Where does it state you need to post about it in every thread i must have missed that. Half the information on this site would be a damn site easier to find if people stopped throwing part p around for every other damn thread

Where does it state you need to post about it in every thread i must have missed that. Half the information on this site would be a damn site easier to find if people stopped throwing part p around for every other damn thread

But every DIYer who dabbles with electrics needs to be aware of it, and they clearly arent. I'm a DIY'er who dabbles with my electrics when and how i feel fit. If i start a topic and someone yells part p at me I wont be taking offence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back