installing multi fuel stove in house without chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house with cavity walls and no chimney. At present I have an inset electric fire fitted into the cavity so it is flat against the wall with an ornate surround. I would like a multifuel inset stove and been told by one company I could have one fitted in the cavity with a twin walled flue up the ouside of the house. Another company told me definitely not as I would have to have a proper brick fireplace built on the outside to sit the inset stove in and then a twin walled flue. So totally confused! can I have one safely fitted into the cavity wall without risk of fire or not?

Please help!

Sponsored Links
That is putting the insert stove in the cavity with the flue out of the back and up the outside gable wall.

Sponsored Links
Sufficient clearance should be maintained behind the stove for maintance and to allow the air to circulate to and from the stove.

Building regulations state a minimum of 150mm between the rear/side of the appliance and a non combustible material.
Closer distances can be allowed and MI's should be adhered too.

So in essence its difficult to answer your question as to whether or not you can install a stove in you're particular situation as the answer could be either "yes" or "no"!
You need a HETAS installer to give you a visit and he will advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back