installing new basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am in the middle of putting in my new bathroom and it looks like sanitation silicone is the favourite adhesive for most plumbers/engineers. i have some but are not sure just how much i need to use ?

Also, should i use it to seal the bath and to attach the WC cistern to the wall ?

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
you mean something like plumbers maite? or silicone sealent?

as for how much on your basin, if its plumbers mate just make some worms and spread them around the top of the pedistall.

most people use it on bath wastes, MI's will often advise it as well,

as for the WC, if it's screwed to the wall and floor, silicone sealent around the base is enough, it should be solid enough.

john90 said:
hi, i am in the middle of putting in my new bathroom and it looks like sanitation silicone is the favourite adhesive for most plumbers/engineers.
Huh? :confused:

If the basin has Fischer bolt type slots in it, then use Fischer bolt type bolts.

If the pedestal has screw holes in the base, then screw it to the floor with brass screws.

If the WC cistern has screw holes in the back, then screw it to the wall with brass screws. If there's a gap between the ceramic part and the wall, then pack it out with tap washers.

If the WC pan bottom isn't completely flat to the floor, and rocks a bit, then pack out the gap with Hi-Load or similar. Then screw it to the floor with brass screws.

When everything is fixed in place, use top quality sanitary silicone sealant where water would otherwise enter a gap and attract dirt/dust/germs.

Also, should i use it to seal the bath and to attach the WC cistern to the wall?
Yes for the bath, and no for the cistern.

For the bath, fill with water before sealing, and leave for 24 hours to cure.

Make sure it's IPX4 rated, observe bathroom bonding rules, put it in a sensible zone 2 position, locate dpfss high up out of easy reach in zone 3.

Sponsored Links
Ah, but that's only for 240VAC basins, Paul. ;)

Some WC cisterns don't have any fixing holes, so you have little choice. If you run a bead behind the top edge of the cistern the lid will hide it but you can get a knife through it if you need to remove the cistern.

If your loo is on porcelain tiles it can be v diff to get a hole through in the right place for screws, depending... In that case silicone will hold the pan, but you need a good area.

What's Hi-load, Softus?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back