Installing New Bath And Waste Questions Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

New Member here from Cornwall down in the South West of the UK.

At the moment I am installing a new bath which includes the waste. Now here is where I have a problem. When I put the new shiny plug hole in, there is a rubber washer that goes between the bath and silver plug hole. This washer is flat apart from the inner circle which is slightly raised all the way around.

The question is, do I place the rubber washer with the raised area facing the plug hole or the other way around.

Another question I have is that I have a tube of GP200 white trade silicon. Can I use this on either side of each washer to make a better seal or should I leave alone and just use the supplied parts.

Wish I had seen this forum before now, it might have saved me a bit of money, hassle and foul language !!.

Once again, hello to all and hope to speak to you all again soon.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for getting back to me.

Here it is 20170111_201433.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think that would go in rib to the bottom. So long as the seal between the underneath part and the bath base is good it should be fine, I would use a bit of the silicone as you describe between the bath and the underneath rubber washer and also a bit around where the overflow connects if it is one that just pushes in.

Thanks very much all.

Wish I had bought the above one now. Money is tight so will have to stick with this one for now. Thanks.

Edit the above comment !.

I will be buying one of the above tomorrow morning. Remember having hassle the last time I used the same kit as above. It was an absolute pain in the backside. Just tried putting this one in and its virtually impossible to get it dead centre along with the cheap rubber washers sitting flush and giving a good seal.
it
Thanks for the advice chaps, learn't something new already. Never buy that waste kit.!.

Cheers.

An update after the advice given on buying a better waste pack.

Well gents, thanks very much indeed. Went out the next day and bought the one described. A mate and I fitted the bath today with the new waste, and guess what, it works like a dream. It needed no extra sealent and was watertight first time. Even my youngest daughter was eager to have the 'First' bath because the new waste system had a twiddly knob that opened the plug !!.

Ended up adding the support bars and legs from the old bath for added support, so hopefully this one won't break as quick, now it has six supports and ten legs.

Worst part of the job was the S bend waste as there were virtually milimetres to work with and not a lot of room for adjustment. Got there in the end though.

Once again, thanks for the advice, it really was appreciated.

Will be a regular visitor from now on, so hopefully will be able to chip in to help people if I can help in any way.

All the best to you all.

Neil

Good work Neil and thanks for the update it makes all the help worthwhile. It was a good decision to get away from that cheepo waste! Can't believe you sold us short on a photo of the finished product though! :)

Haha, never thought of the photo.

Will take one in the morning of the end product and one of when the bath side is finished. Never liked plastic bath panels, always liked the homemade tongue and groove finish, painted up with a bit of skirting at the bottom.

Thanks again.

As promised, a couple of pics of the new bath in situ. Old supports added along with two more single ones underneath, one in the middle and one further up towards the plug end. All finished off with the new waste system. For anybody else considering using one of those cheap waste packs, don't do it, waste of money and never really fit properly. Go with the advice I took and spend fifteen quid on one that will work first time.

20170115_154928.jpg 20170115_155003.jpg

Further pics to follow once the t&g bath panel is fitted.

Last edited:
Chubbs, not wishing to take away from your most excellent DIY bath install, they can be fickle to put in as you've probably found, but do you have batons on the walls that the bath sits against? Just before you seal it all in. I know it's a pain but it will help over the longer term, it also allows you to triple seal the bath.

An acrylic bath will naturally flex along it's edges and at the corners when used, that's why they supply those stupid L brackets, a 2x2 baton along those edges where it touches the wall will help support the bath and keep the wall seal from pulling itself away. Also remember to fill the bath full of water prior to running the top seal in.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back