Installing New light swithes and power sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought an old 1930 build flat and the electrics have been redone but are running outside the wall in trunkings. I have managed to grind into the concrete walls for the cabling but trying to carve into the wall for the switches is a nightmare. Can someone tell me do I have to embed the plastic boxes in the wall or can i get away with just embedding the switch into the wall without the box and using the concrete as a holder for the wires.

Thanks

Hoop :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can someone tell me do I have to embed the plastic boxes in the wall
No. Plastic boxes are designed to be surface mounted. Metal ones are used in the wall.

or can i get away with just embedding the switch into the wall without the box and using the concrete as a holder for the wires.
No, you need an enclosure for the wires. With no backbox, there won't be anything to attach the switches / sockets to either.

As for the wires, if you mean PVC covered twin and earth, then they can be buried directly in the wall. If the wires are singles, then these also require an enclosure such as trunking or conduit.

trying to carve into the wall for the switches is a nightmare
Now you know why the wiring was in surface trunking.

Sponsored Links
and remember to use grommets, any chance you could post a few pictures up :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back