Installing new sockets - earth wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post so please be gentle!
I have very little electrical experience aside from high school physics (I'm a doctor) and I'm replacing our upstairs white double sockets with chrome faced LAP ones. I've switched off the sockets at the fuse box and have a voltage detector device.

On removing the old boxes, I can see that the two live, two neutral and two earth wires are paired together and attach to the L, N and E positions on the sockets respectively. However in the new sockets, there are two seperate E connections, one at either top corner. How do I deal with this? Do I have to peel back the incoming wires to get extra length needed to attach earth wires to each corner? Does it matter which earth wire goes to which corner? Do I need to have the earth wires covered completely with the green/yellow insulation cover? Do I need to get a qualified electrician to approve the work? Obviously don't want to endanger my family. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use either or both earth connections. They will be connected together in the socket anyway. So it's fine to put both earth wires into one of the connections.

I assume that this means the other questions are not relevant. But the earth wire should be as covered with sleeving as possible, so it does not touch up against one of the other connectors.

You do not need an electrician for this unless you suspect that you are not certain what you are doing.

In the circumstances, you might buy a socket checker from a diy shop which you can use to confirm that you have connected everything up right.

Welcome!

However in the new sockets, there are two seperate E connections, one at either top corner. How do I deal with this? Do I have to peel back the incoming wires to get extra length needed to attach earth wires to each corner?

No. If you look closely you'll probably be able to see that the two terminals are linked together by a metal strap, which most likely extends to one or both fixing holes as well so as to be in contact with the mounting bolts. It's perfectly fine to use whichever terminal is the most convenient for both conductors.

Do I need to have the earth wires covered completely with the green/yellow insulation cover?

It's been the convention to completely sleeve the earths for about the last 35 years. It's not going to hurt anything if you leave some bare though.

If the mounting boxes in the wall are flush metal types, you might want to consider running a jumper wire to the box as well (from the terminal on the box itself to either one of the earth terminals on the socket). It's not considered absolutely essential so long as one of the mounting lugs is fixed, but it's good practice.

Do I need to get a qualified electrician to approve the work?

There's no specific legal requirement for simple replacements of sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back