Installing new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering how (what tools) the pro electrician uses to channel out for cables and sockets.

I read in a post on this forum about someone who uses an angle grinder and jack hammer!!!

I have always used an hammer and chisel, needless to say this takes a long time. :(

Do the socket cutters really work as they only seem to cut into plaster and breeze block?

How do you use an angle grinder to cut a socket if at all?

Can someone also tell me what a JACK hammer is?? :oops:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Jack hammer is an old term for a hammer drill with rotary stop.
I use a hilti cutter that uses a pilot hole and has points that drive into the wall with my DeWalt hammer. 30 secs in one orientation then out and rotate 90 and drive some more. easy in block work but still effective in brick.

If you are doing it in your own home or someone else's (not a building site) the angle grinder will make an incredible amount of grit and dust. If they have a vacuum extractor they just make a considerable amount of grit and dust.

Cheers for your quick reply.

When you say Hilti cutter do you mean one of those rectangle/square cutters?

Is there a good make, i would rather buy a quality one?

What do you make of the angle grinder thing? Seems a bit over the top!!

The house is going to be empty so dust and that not a big problem.

Sponsored Links
Hilti is a square cutter but not to confused with the box shaped one that has a rotating cutter inside.
Never used a angle grinder channeller.

SDS+ with rotostop and a chisel bit. have a box sinker what i sometimes use, but the square isnt too good at times

I have been looking online. Seen a wall chaser which is basically two cutting discs adjustable between 8 - 30mm. Anybody used one?

Where can you get the Hilti cutters from that you mentioned

Why did you only use your angle grinder once? Nearly lose and arm or something!! :confused:

Cheers :)

nice1chris said:
Why did you only use your angle grinder once? Nearly lose and arm or something!! :confused:

Cheers :)

im guessing it was because of the mess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back