Why Don't You Put More Than 2 Blades In A Wall Chaser?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you're using a hammer drill after the chaser, what's stopping you from having 4, or even 5/6 blades in your wall chaser? It will make the hammer drill part easier.

I understand that some people use a bolster chisel after the wall chaser, so 2 blades is probably ideal. But if you're chasing into non-brick materials such as breeze blocks or stones then surely the more blades in a wall chaser the easier the job is?

I just tried fitting 4 into my cheap Screwfix Titan wall chaser and it accepted them. Only problem is they were undersized angle grinder blades as I don't have 4 wall chasing blades :eek:

Sponsored Links
How much dust do you want?

If you had a single blade an inch wide (or wider), how easy do you think it would be?

There's more dust from the hammer drill part than any wall chasing! Using 2 blades creates almost no dust once the wall chaser is flat with the wall. Using 4 blades shouldn't create any more dust. A one inch blade would make it too difficult to move.

You must be using your SDS wrong. I don't use a wall chaser - too messy. Whenever I use my SDS to chase out the wall, 95-99% of the plaster/block lands in a neat little pile on the floor underneath my chase. Perhaps a bit different with hard brick but

Sponsored Links
Never seen or used one, but could it be that having more or wider blades makes the thing more dangerous and likely to snag and injure the user, id quess the motor may also be stressed more

I rent a Hilti chaser when I need one. It takes 2 blades, and could probably take 3 at a push. But I would expect more stalling of the motor.

The chaser is only clean if I also rent the hoover to go with it, otherwise its messy. A bit less messy than a grinder as the dust drops more than flies in your face, but still a bloody mess.

I just chase the channel to the width I need, and then use a channeling chisel and its done in minutes. Exception being a light switch where 2 conduits are used, in this case I would set up the chaser to cut half the required width, then run it again next to the first chase Then use a 65mm chisel in the SDS drill to knock it all out. Heavy with a 4KG SDS drill heading for ceiling height, but we get there in the end.

The chaser is only clean if I also rent the hoover to go with it, otherwise its messy. A bit less messy than a grinder as the dust drops more than flies in your face, but still a bloody mess.

I thought it was standard practice... to use it with a vacuum? That's why it's so much cleaner. I use mine with Henry and the only dust I see is when plunging it in... and that can be solved easily by getting a plunge cut wall chaser (at a price).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back