Hiring a chasing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to chase 2 plastered brick walls in order to run some 8-core CQR cable.

I'm a DIYer so don't have all the professional gear. Previously I have used an angle grinder for chases and the dust was horrendous. It's a 1930s property and the bricks were super hard.

I still have the angle grinder but I also have an SDS with a chasing bit.

My question is would it be worthwhile hiring a hilti chaser with dust extractor from the hire shop? Probably around £160 for the weekend - I don't know if they'll make me buy blades on top of that cost.

In terms of value I'm interested in the time to complete the chases and how little dust this method would create compared with my alternatives.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I’m not suggesting you should buy this machine, but the reviews certainly indicate wall chasing machines don’t produce much dust

I’m not suggesting you should buy this machine, but the reviews certainly indicate wall chasing machines don’t produce much dust
You may not be 'suggesting' that but, if it can do the job satisfactorily ( don't know), then £140 to buy one (and have it for ever) as compared with the OP's suggestion of paying £160 to hire one for a just a weekend would sound like a bit of a 'no brainer'!

Kind Regards, John

Of course the hire one would include a vacuum cleaner. Still I don't regret buying mine.

Sponsored Links
The vacuum cleaner is an essential part of the dust suppression. You need an appropriate one..the filters on my Dyson clog up very quickly with brickdust, my cheap old Moulinex thing (which needs disposable bags) keeps going for much longer .
Have a look at Machine Mart (especially their Returns corner)- think my chaser cost £40.

I have that particular machine, when connected to my dust extractor, you get a bit of dust on the initial plunge. I am only guessing, but I would say that airborne dust is reduced by about 80-90%.

It is quite heavy though and it doesn't move up the wall as smoothly as some others.

That said, it is cheap and functions well.

It has spacers on the shaft that you can move around to change the gap between the two blades.

Prior to buying one, I built a "dust extraction" box for my angle grinder. I soon regretted not having purchased a wall chaser. With one you end up with two groves at a constant depth and width.

The Titan is even supplied with a flat chisel that you can insert in to the grove and snap away the stuff in the chase.

It is a while since I last used mine, but I would recommend a chaser over an angle grinder.

Longevity wise... I have only done less then 100m. That includes plaster over render

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back