Wall Chasing Techniques

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently chasing my walls so that my central heating can be installed the week after next - trying to do the donkey work myself so that I don't waste a professionals time (at my expense) doing it. I've got 12m to chase.

I've got an Erbauer wall chaser which works a treat at getting the plaster off - I would definitely recommend this tool to any diyer as it's relatively cheap (£99 @ screwfix) and makes very clean cuts that are easy to re-plaster afterwards!

However, it only cuts to a depth of 30mm max, so it just barely scores the brickwork behind the plaster. As 22mm copper pipes are going in, I need to take the faces off the brickwork was well.

I have a Titan 6kg drill with roto-stop and a chisel attachment - again another great economy tool from screwfix. Before you ask... no I don't work there :LOL:

What's the best approach to chiseling the bricks to get as flatter surface as possible? Is it to chisel horizontally down the brick or vertically across, or is there another approach?

I appreciate that it will never be a flat surface, but want to get it done so that fixing pipe holders to the remaining brickwork is as easy as possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You'll need to remember your building regs. If you chase out horizontally then you can't take out more than a fifth of the wall depth. If you chase vertically then you can chase out up to a third. Obviously try and chase out vertically wherever possible.

Regards

Joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back