Cutting a chase in a concrete lintel and not creating a cloud of dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of cutting a chase floor to ceiling for a satellite cable. Its an old house so the wall is a combination of plasterboard and thick plaster which has been easy to chase into but there is a redundant concrete lintel that is close to the finished plaster surface. I need to cut a chase in it around 15mm deep and about 10mm wide. The lintel is only around 100mm high so its not a long chase. Is there any way to do it without using an angle grinder and the associated dust which will go everywhere?

I could try chain drilling it with my SDS drill but i have no experience of drilling concrete lintels so i have no idea how hard they are.

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've got a chisel for my SDS hammer that is designed to create a channel. Never though about using that. I'd be worried about loosening the lintel in the wall.

Sponsored Links
Stitch drill it first, don't try and chisel it outright.

A vacuum with a large collector head, such as a bucket or bowl with a hole cut into it for the hose, and held close is good for catching grinder dust.

It's only 4 inches high!
True, but its in the hall so its will be difficult to control where the dust goes throughout the house.

Unfortunately, this is an isolated job and its not a construction site.

You're not going to get a huge amount of dust from making a 4 inch slot in concrete with an SDS drill

Stitch drilled in the end and joined the stitches together with the drill to form the chase. Not too much dust in the end. I thought it would be harder to drill the lintel than it actually was.

Thanks for the advice.

I think / thought you guys need get up to date with the latest dust under
Extraction systems because nil is going to be the norm in the future.
I have the latest bosch dust grinder
attachment and it keeps 90 peccent under control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back