Chasing concrete path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello experts!

I'm currently in the process of trying to beautify our front path.

As a first step before I tile it, I want to install some ceramic/stone victorian rope edging.

The current concrete slab is in good condition, and is about 3 metres long and 1 metre wide (actually the slab extends to about 4 metres wide, but the piece for the path is 1 metre wide). The concrete also has a reasonable amount of aggregate in it for non-slip and decorative purposes. The concrete for the path also slopes down leaving a small drop in height against the main slab. I've tried to illustrate in the pic:
path.jpg

So onto the question!:

I want to chase the concrete on the sloping edge to fit some stone/ceramic rope edging (I will put gravel on the area on the right to the edging it required to stop it dropping onto the path and also for decorative purposes).

What is the best way to cut a channel in the concrete? My thoughts are Angle Grinder with Diamond blade (I already have this - albeit only a 125mm grinder). I would guess I need to chase out about 2inch down and just over 1inch wide. I also have an SDS drill - although my objective is not to destroy the path! The rope edging would then sit in a thin bed of mortar to hold it in place.

All thoughts and suggestions on how to fit the edging welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Borrow/hire a larger 9" grinder with decent disc or a power saw. A good str8 piece of timber and bobs your uncle. Not saying you were going to but in case i thought i'd mention DONT try to put a bigger disc on your small grinder as it will burn out in 2 mins and probably break your wrist on the way.

Just double check any NTL type cables routing as I have broken up slabs similar to yours and found them running about and inch deep!

Last thought would be regards your gravel on the other side of the edges, gravel on top of solid concrete is not disimmilar to marbles!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back