Building a step edge onto an existing concrete path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently we dug up the old patio in order to drop the level of it so that it is 6 inches below the damp proof course. We put back the original stones and now the adjoining garden path is higher than the patio and has an uneven edge. The path is made of concrete / pebble mix and I am wondering if I could make good a step edge by mixing some concrete with small pebbles then pour into a square wooden frame to create a straight edge - is this feasible?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have considered removing the path altogether but I found it to be uber tough when I intially tried with the pneumatic breaker I hired a few weeks back

any info/helpful links appreciated

Adam

Sponsored Links
Well I am going to try this tonight. Any thoughts peeps? Looking for tips on the following

- concrete mix i.e sharp sand to mortar ratio?
- is there a bonding agent I should apply the existing path concrete surface?

thanks

My guess is that the success, or failure, will depend on the foundation under it, as well as the bond to the existing.

I'd ensure that the concrete edging goes sufficiently deep, and sitting on hardcore. That the edging is at least 50mm thick, and if possible bonded mechanically with reinforcing bar, or similar, to the exisitng. Drill holes in the existing and bond the bar in before casting the edge.

I'd use 1:2:4 cement: sand: gravel mix, well tamped or vibrated, repeated hammering on the shuttering to expel air.
I'd use pea gravel. rather than the typical 20mm gravel, for a better finish, at least for the outside edges.

Alternatively, cast a foundation and edge it in engineering bricks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back