Concrete Path Needs Replacing

BGD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into our house. It has a couple of damp issues.

One reason seems to be that the path along the side of the house was cheaply replaced some time back by covering the path that was there previously. Now it runs at a higher level alongside four air bricks that run along the edge, so when it rains water gets access to the underside of the house.

The path needs removing and relaying at a lower level and the air bricks also need clearing out.

I'm strongly considering attempting this myself for budget reasons. Taking a pickaxe / wrecking bar / demolition hammer seems straightforward enough.

For a non-experienced DIY person, is it foolhardy to do the re-lay? I've had a look at a few places online, including here. I'd possibly get a delivery of pre-mixed cement due to the assumed volume required. The path is about 5 feet wide by 20 feet long and joins up with the cemented driveway, so one would be at a higher level than the other. What could go wrong, eh?

I guess I could do the destruction and removal and get a quote for the relay. I know concrete not everyone's favourite.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
defintely break it up yourself.

I wouldn't re-lay it without at least the help of someone who has worked with concrete at least once.

Its not difficult but even a lot of experienced people don't enjoy laying concrete floors paths or drives because if something goes wrong during, such as a shutter breaks loose or heavy rain shower it can go horribly wrong. You just don't get a second chance and always have the feeling of a ticking clock putting you under pressure.

I imagine i am not alone in always being relieved when its tamped, level and only needs floating.

Also Cheap slabs may be almost as cost effective as concrete and you can definately lay them yourself.

Don't let me put you off the concrete though, I'm sure other members may have different feelings.

• Thanks
Reactions: BGD
Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice above and the link to the website, will have a look and consider the help/slabs option too.

If you are going for the DIY concrete option then couple of points you may want to consider. I wouldn't attempt to pour, level and tamp this by yourself, get at least one helper.

Secondly, if using readymix concrete i'd look for a supplier with a 'Volumetric' mixer vehicle. You should be able to work out the approx amount of concrete you need, but these machines mix as required and wastage is virtually nil. You dont want to find you are a few barrowloads short at the end! :cry:

• Thanks
Reactions: BGD
Thank you Hugh.

I am also now wondering whether it might be easier... to do it with gravel and a few slabs, once the old path has been removed.

Will have a look here to see the right layer combination (sand, dry mix, gravel/slabs etc) and whether the more porous nature of gravel is not a good option along the edges of the house without some form of drainage.

Update: Well, I got a quote out of interest for somone to do this for me.

6 metres by 1 metre, remove old path and relay slabs on sand and cement. £900 for cheque. Ouch. So rather than playing with cement it seems advisable to do it myself with more of a dry mix and slabs..

Go with the slabs, it will look far better than concrete.
You will find it easier laying them on a wet full bed of sand/cement and tap them down to level with a rubber mallet.

Indian sandstone slabs are cheap now and come in different sizes, a builders pack might do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back