Renewing path alongside house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to replace a concrete path alongside one wall of the house. The existing path concrete is very thin ( 25mm ) and seems to be only laid on sand. I will remove all this and dig deeper to give a good sub base . As you can see in the photo, the path is alongside a small patio area. Another Option I'm wondering about is not to concrete but lay 900 x 600 Pavers instead. There's a few things I'm not to sure about, and any advice would be appreciated

1) I know I'll have to make a wood form on the outside of the path, but if pouring the concrete against the wall of the house what do I use , How to get the right level with a slope away from the house. When using a straight edge to level the concrete, one side would lay on top of the wooden form, but what about the house side ? Hope I've explained this well enough

2) If I left a 6" gap between wall and Path and just filled this with Gravel / Chips, would the water running down from the wall onto the chips and soaking down do any damage to the house founds?

3 If I decided to lay pavers instead, would laying the Pavers on a base of Concrete sand and cement ( weak mix 8 - 1 ) be ok on top of subbase?

Attachments

• 20190303_115150.jpg
    20190303_115150.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 393
Sponsored Links
The ground next to the wall will be pretty sheltered anyway.
Presumably the top surface of the path isn't above the dpc? You normally go a lot lower to allow for splashes

You could screw a baton onto the house wall and make a straight edge with a step at the end to allow for the extra height. Wooden border on the other side but knocked down to provide the correct fall.
Pretty much the same procedure if you lay sand before paving but obviously lower to allow for bricks/pavers

Not sure what you mean by "Step at the end". The DPC I'm pretty sure is just below the level of the Dash / Render. This path actually has a step at the end down onto gravel driveway and has to run down towards the step. If I screwed a baton to the wall how do I get it out after pouring the concrete ?

Screw the baton to the house wall so the bottom is above the desired concrete level.
Let's say that the top of the baton is 50 mm off the concrete
Use, say, a 25mm bit of timber.

Cut a piece of ply that goes from the desired concrete level to 25mm above the top of the baton and cut a 50mm piece out of the end so that there is a 25mm flag sticking out. This rests/runs on the top of the baton and the bottom should be exactly at paving level. The other straight end rests on the timber that is in the ground

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back