Block Paving question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thinking about redoing the front garden to create some off road parking.
At the front of the house is a concrete path with steps up to the door plus a concrete path down the middle of the garden - and forma a sort of 'L' shape.

The plan is to extend these steps round to form a quarter circle with block paving over the top. The problem is that part of the base of these steps will be the existing concrete and the other part will be whatever i use to fill in the behind the kerbs - probably No1. and sand.

Can I lay the blocks directly on the existing concrete (it would cause too much disruption to excavate it)? Or would I have to stick them down using something like mastic or bitumin? Would this be suitable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, when I had mine done , by a Toppave contractor.......they left some of the old concrete drive in and just laid the bed of sharp sand over it and the compacted type 1 on the other areas.........Excellent job...gauranteed for 5 years ..........looks good after 3 now ;)

I've been looking at this as i want to brick pave the concrete foot paths around my house, i asked some guys fitting some pavers the other day in a shopping center. they said lay then on a bit of sand on top of the concrete or if there is no border lay them on some mortar.

you are probably best off laying the paviors entirely on a bed of sharp sand mixed with cement and a little water.
this allows you to lay without having to wacker or compact .

difficulties can arise when the compactor moves from the rigid concrete sub layer to the more giving sub surface of sand and m.o.t. type 1.

if there is very little material between the paviors and the concrete, in comparison to the rest, then the paviors will sink less in this area when compacted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks your replies all, however I'm trying to avoid adding any extra height to the paviors that will be sitting on the existing concrete - as they should then join up the with next door neighbours!

I think I will put a dryish mix down for the rest of the paviors - seemed to work well for a patio I built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back