Help laying concrete edging and aco drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new patio and I’ve dug down 17cm (22mm slab, 50mm mortar bed, 100mm hardcore compacted)

I am installing some flat topped concrete edging (900mm x 150mm x 50mm) over a total length of 9 metres

Along he front edge of patio I am installing an aco drain

Do I need to lay some MOT hardcore before installing the aco drain and edging or do I just compact the soil and concrete the edging and aco drainage in?

What mix do I use for the concrete?
Can i just use sharp sand and cement at 4:1 ratio or do I need to use concrete?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Not my area but I wouldn't of thought lay on hardcore and sharp sand.
Concrete will make if difficult to repair drain if required.

Edit.

Ignore. Better advise below

I am installing a new patio and I’ve dug down 17cm (22mm slab, 50mm mortar bed, 100mm hardcore compacted)

I am installing some flat topped concrete edging (900mm x 150mm x 50mm) over a total length of 9 metres

Along he front edge of patio I am installing an aco drain

Do I need to lay some MOT hardcore before installing the aco drain and edging or do I just compact the soil and concrete the edging and aco drainage in?

What mix do I use for the concrete?
Can i just use sharp sand and cement at 4:1 ratio or do I need to use concrete?

Many thanks in advance
Acos can be run with concrete bed plus compacted stone beneath, if needs be. We like to use a fatty concrete mix, i.e. regular 6:1 ballast/cement mix, but replace one of those 6 shovels of ballat with a shovel of screed.

Not my area but I wouldn't of thought lay on hardcore and sharp sand.
Concrete will make if difficult to repair drain if required
It's not like constructing a wall. Kerbs, Acos etc, will happily sit on a concrete race with compact hard core beneath.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Acos can be run with concrete bed plus compacted stone beneath, if needs be. We like to use a fatty concrete mix, i.e. regular 6:1 ballast/cement mix, but replace one of those 6 shovels of ballat with a shovel of screed.
Thanks for your reply

So a decent chunky mix for bedding in the aco drain

As for the concrete edging (patio only, no car use) is it worth making a concrete mix using pea gravel or is a mortar mix okay to bed the edging stones in?

Cheers

Thanks for your reply

So a decent chunky mix for bedding in the aco drain

As for the concrete edging (patio only, no car use) is it worth making a concrete mix using pea gravel or is a mortar mix okay to bed the edging stones in?

Cheers
Lay edgings with same suggested mix.

Lay edgings with same suggested mix.
Cheers
I have 9m total length for edging and a 4m length of aco drain to install against a current path edge

Any idea how much ballast I will need?

Will small bags suffice or will I need a tonne bag?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back