A question about chasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just moved to a house that is approx 1945 build. The upstairs walls are of block construction.

I want to do some chasing to place water pipes in to the wall. I have not done any chasing like this before (only plaster etc).

I assume that the walls are structural, so is there anything to worry about when chasing the walls? I expect I will hire a tool to do the job.

Sponsored Links
I have just finished laying 10mm pipe in all my walls for the central heating.

I used a Armeg SDS Plus Channelling Chisel 30mm from screwfix, as recommended on this forum. It did the job a treat, a little dusty to use, but you need a SDS drill and have to keep it sharp.

My place was built in 1960 so I used a stud/metal finder which you run over the wall first to ensure there was no buried surprises. Oh and check where your rafters are as well as I found out when I channelled a run straight up to a rafter in the loft, I had to put in a "small" deviation!

Thanks that is useful information. How deep did you go?

Did you just fill up with plaster afterwards?

(Slightly offtrack here but, did your heating pipes exit from the wall to the radiators after you finished?) dont think iv seen that before.

I went in the depth of the tool, about 30mm. Sufficient for the pipes I laid. Unfortunately plaster can react with the copper and cause future problems so I used plastic conduit I picked up from the local electrical supplier.

Then I back filled with Thistle bonding plaster up to the level of the channel as I am getting the walls plaster skimmed at a later date.

If you do a search on this forum for plaster/copper reaction there are several posts dealing with this subject.

Sponsored Links
wow, I would not have ever guessed that could be a problem!

I will have to use either conduit or some other method if any one has any ideas?

Hi,
if you go to a plumbing supply shop you can get a product called polyplumb or their equivellent.it is a plastic pipe in all sizes E.G 15/22/28mm.its great for all your chasing in needs.it uses push fittings.you must put an insert in the plastic pipe before putting the joints on (do not forget these)then push fitting on firmly.lay these in the walls then come out of the walls with a copper tail or chrome plated pipe to the radiator.
then just use pipe clips to anchor the pipes in the chase then plaster in.
its easy.
the walls you are chasing maybe structural but a chase wont weaken it that much,
goodluck...

Thanks, I was hoping that I could use Polyplumb. Just had a look on their website sure this will make the job easier!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back