Chasing 15mm pipe into 100mm single brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've been through the forum a bit but can't seem to work out a definitive answer on this.
I have a single-brick interior wall which looks to be using 100mm bricks. I would like to chase in 15mm pipes for an external thermostatic shower with 150mm spacing.
I *think* that as long as I only go in 30mm into the brickwork I'll be ok?
I've currently got all the plaster off (down to bricks) and have a plasterer coming in 2 days time to re-plaster the bathroom.
I own an angle grinder to do the chasing (although I understand it's very messy)
Before I take grinder to brickwork, I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me if what I'm proposing sounds sane!

Also, to get the 90 degree bends, should I just fit an elbow, or should I be using a plate or using something else to solidly mount the pipe at the top of the chased out channel?

thanks very much

Barny

Sponsored Links
I assume the pipe runs are vertical?

I would chain drill the bricks either side of the pipe runs and the chisel them out. Using and angle grinder for that will create a phenomenal amount of dust and you'll still have to chisel out the center of your chase.

I chased out a single skin internal brick wall with a ginger and my the dust!!

That said, we'd previously removed all the plaster and lathe ceilings so it was just 'another messy job' in the house we were living in!

My plasterer advised me to cover the pipes (plastic) with expanded metal (and pin it there straps screwed every 18" or so) to prevent the plaster cracking - which I'm pleased to say it hasn't since...

Now either open all the windows so you can breath and see across the room, but accept dust is going to get everywhere, or close all the doors, seal them as best you can only to find it makes it everywhere anyway!

If you have a solid floor and the house is in full renovation mode perhaps it is worth borrowing a stihl saw with a water hose attached...

Tom

Thanks Lower, the chain drilling is a great idea and one I'd not considered. I'll get onto it now. It's good to know I'm not going to be doing damage to my walls with the chasing.

Barny

Sponsored Links
get some 20mm electrical conduit put the pipes in that.

solder elbows at each end.

you can get connectors like this for bar showers which look good.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p68003

you only need to chase out 10mm as long as the pipes are below the top coat of plaster and your tiling all should be ok.

The 2.5 airspace of the conduit should limit any expansion issues.

My shower was done like this and its been there 5 years with no issues.

I've just been staring at the wall, as something wasn't sitting right with me. I've just noticed that the wall is built with the bricks EDGE ON. That means it's only 6.5cm thick, not 10cm, as I'd thought.
That's too thin to chase channels into in my book, so i'll be looking at either boxing in the pipework (I have space I think) or bringing pipes in from the ceiling.

Thanks all for answers though!

Barny

Could you batten the wall and fix moisture resistant plasterboard or better, a water proof tile backer?

You can then run the pipes in the void behind the boards.

Do you really need to go as deep as you thinking into the brick? Is there no plaster on top of the brick?

The pipes are only 15mm so i'd expect that you wouldn't have to go any deeper than 20mm.

You're also going vertically so i wouldn't be worried about 2 vertical chases 20mm deep in a 65mm thick brick wall.

I'd be more worried about hanging a sink on a edge brick wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back