1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Repairing big hole and Wall Chase

Discussion in 'Building' started by It'safirstforme, 17 Nov 2020.

Tags:
  1. It'safirstforme

It'safirstforme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hey
    I need some advice ive done some wall chasing to fit some back bock on an old surface patress socket
    But when I started from the plaster it seems that there had been some work done on thd same location, and the area was filled back again with plaster
    Am starting to be concerned because the plaster seems never ending even after I've achieved the back box depth of 35mm
    How do I repair this
    The wall is internal leading to the kitchen which means single brick

Whilst I was making the chase I found what had been an attempt to repair the wall using what I presume to be ceramic pots

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is this an oldish house? Wouldn't be a surprise if the plaster was excessively thick to get a vertical finish & cover any random fat bricks.
    You're not really chasing- you're just cutting in to fit a backbox. You need to get deep enough to see the brickwork so you can get a couple of Rawplugs in to hold the box to the wall. You can get deeper backboxes if you need them (will make finishing off easier) or you can get very long screws to hold the faceplate on, whichever you like.
    Once you've got back to brick (and ideally a flattish surface) and fixed the backbox, fill the gaps around it with Polyfilla or similar, or if you have a gash bag of plaster kicking about, use that (it'll go on thicker). With filler you'll need several goes at it (you could stuff the back of the gap with newspaper but it'll crack in a few years time). If the backbox is behind the finished surface use cardboard or plastic or something to make a form to fill to.
    Once you've filled & its dried, sand any lumps back if needed, paint as required, refit socket

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jayman56

Jayman56

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would sink a metal back box with expanding foam it works a treat, just try to get atleast one fixing in to make it secure

5. It'safirstforme

It'safirstforme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys for the reply
    My concern was that even after achieving the required depth there is still plaster
    On the other side of the house where I've also done the back box fitting after about 15mm i was on to brick
    Even on the same wall that I've done the proper horizontal chase next to the ceiling I was on to brick within a few millimetres
    But in this hole the plaster seems to go all the way to the other side
    How should I stabilise the hole and also fit in the back box
    Can I use mortar behind the back box to bring the hole to required depth whilst also stablising the hole
    Cheers

6. Sponsored Links
  7. It'safirstforme

It'safirstforme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry to jump on an old thread but can someone help me with this
    Hey
    I need some advice ive done some wall chasing to fit some back bock on an old surface patress socket
    But when I started from the plaster it seems that there had been some work done on thd same location, and the area was filled back again with plaster
    Am starting to be concerned because the plaster seems never ending even after I've achieved the back box depth of 35mm
    How do I repair this
    The wall is internal leading to the kitchen which means single brick

Whilst I was making the chase I found what had been an attempt to repair the wall using what I presume to be ceramic pots IMG_20201117_210316.jpg

8. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No one will admit it, but if you want a prompt response, always start a fresh thread

Perhaps you could try the 'building' section of the forum?

Nevertheless, thanks for giving my old thread new legs :D:D

9. It'safirstforme

It'safirstforme

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :mrgreen:
    I had to I've tried to start one but it got close to two replies :D
    I thought I jump into another host body and see if I get somewhere

Anyways

10. mrrusty

mrrusty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Turn off the leccy, Get the base of the hole flat enough (whether it's brick or plaster - doesn't matter) - you can pack out behind with some pieces of wood if the hole is too deep. Position a new metal back box and mark 2 fixing positions, drill and plug for 2 screws - provided the plugs grip something it'll be good enough). Feed cables through and fit a rubber grommet. If the back box is wobbly, fill around it with foam (or a bit of plaster). Once it's firm, connect the face plate (making sure there is an earth link to the faceplate if it is metal type). Reconnect. Get your plug-in tester out (and you really should have one for any electrical work around the house) and check it's OK. I am not a sparky, but this is straightforward.