Plastering chases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice? I'm renovating my new house and just had total rewire and about to have ch installed. I have a friend who is going to come and stay with us and replaster the whole house after plumbing is done, but I have one chase that needs to be done before the plumber comes in because it will be behind the new boiler (power supply to boiler)

I'm going to have to plaster this one myself, but haven't done any plastering before and don't know what to use or how to do it!

The channel has red brick at the back and then grey coloured plaster towards the surface. Any tips apprreciated!

Thanks

Maceman

Sponsored Links
if its behind the boiler, i assume it doesnt need to be perfect. for whats not behind the boiler, will that later be done by your plasterer?

if so, you just really need browning behind the boiler. get browning, mix with water and stick in chase. if you have a float, then good, otherwise a piece of wood would probably get it level enough. for the part above the boiler, you could do the same and then have the plasterer skim over it along with the rest of the wall

I hate the stuff but a 'one coat' plaster would fill to full depth & give a reasonable finish, saving the need to but large quantities of materials that you will never use!

I agree with Richard C. One coat is the easiest to use, and gives a reasonable finish, for anyone not skilled in plastering.

Sponsored Links
For a chase, you can use a broad filling knife or scraper. Put the plaster in with it (pushing hard). It will bulge out a bit, but you can push back the scraper to plane off the protruding bulge flush with the wall.

This does not work if the chase is wider than the scraper.

everything the guys have said makes sense.

if you have a lot of chases to fill, i would personally opt for bonding instead of browning as it will deal with the high suction of the surrounding plaster better.

the suction can be controlled though by a couple of coats of diluted pva.

nevertheless, the backing coat will shrink back a little.

don't let the backing dry out too much before you skim it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back