Chasing walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon Folks,

I'm new here, so please be a little patient. I'm part-way through an extension (my own). We've used a combination of main contractor, subbies and DIY. I have chased out walls in order to get a ring main and cooker circuit to the kitchen island. The plasterer is coming shortly to float the floor so I need to get the conduit in place. My question is this:

Should I chase to below the DPC on the engineering block? This would seem logical, but if I'm being truthful, I just don't know. I can't really see any other sensible alternative.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Assuming its a single storey extension?

Can you not bring all the cables in from the ceiling and run them down to where they are going? That way all conduit/trunking need only be cut to the length of the drop required.

Its a bit confusing

- by "engineering block" i guess you mean the inner skin of wall blockwork?
Or do you mean a beam and block floor?
Or is it a concrete floor over a membrane(DPM)?

Have you cut a channel in the floor?

does the ring enter and leave the extension in the ceiling?

Yes, I do mean the inside of the inner skin. The ring main and hot and cold water need to go across the floor slab/dpm/kingspan/dpm/screed to a central kitchen island.

Sponsored Links
Haven't yet cut Chanel (that's next job) have chased walls down to engineering block.

Yes, the ring main enters and leaves the extension via the ceiling.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You can chase plumb vertical down the blockwork and cover the chase and cable with a metal cap.

Where you meet the DPC/DPM/Slab floor take care not to go wild and destroy too much material.

If the slab is the finished surface (no screed) then mark lines to the island and use a stihl saw or a masonry blade in a circular saw to cut to an appropriate depth.
Channel at ninety degrees to the wall if possible.

Do the same with your water and waste lines.

Run the elec. cables in conduit for protection.

Running your water in conduit allows for replacement etc.
Gas in slabs has more involved Regs.

You might get more details by transferring this post to the Electrical forum.
Some of the guys there will be doing this kind of installation quite often.

Just a thought, maybe bes.co.uk - mini trunking system ducts would help.

Many thanks for the reply. I will be using conduit to get over to the island and also some smurf-type tube to run the John Guest pipe in (for the water). I propose to bury this in the 65mm insulation, which will leave approx 60-70mm screed.

Does anybody know how I get this moved to the electrician site (as suggested) in case there's something else I'm missing?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back