Installing patio over tarmac?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a raised patio to replace the existing tarmac surface in my garden. This is probably going to be a DIY project as I can't even get anyone to come round and quote.

The existing tarmac surface is not level, so I plan to install the patio so that it lines up with the highest point of the existing tarmac.

I know I will have to put a short retaining wall in around the perimeter which is fine. However, I wasn't sure if I should be digging up all the old tarmac first or can I just compact Type 1 directly on top of the existing tarmac before?

There are a few areas at the high points which will need tarmac removing so that I can get the right levels, but would appreciate any views on whether I should be removing all tarmac before laying the sub-base.

Some photo's below...intention is to build the patio up to the bottom step. The highest point of the existing tarmac is in the corner with the downpipe, this is pretty much level with the finished height of the planned patio.

20210423_110311 1.jpg 20210429_110922.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have a look at pavingexpert.com cuz I'm not sure on this one ;)

Increase in level will be between 100mm and 400mm depending on the slop

Sponsored Links
Not sure how that relates to whether or not I should take the tarmac up before laying a patio...

Ground level is taken from the highest point, and patio is only 100mm higher at this point. So no planning permission

If it were me I'd consider paving pedestals, though not cheap they would enable you to be able to adjust them over the years should the tarmac drop, which it can do.

Looks like a drive-by-traveller special.

Dig it all up and do the sub base properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back