Installing RSJ and Concrete Lintel - Replacing Existing

M

Mattbrum

Would someone be able to give some general advice on a project I am considering starting....

I have a traditional council 3 bed semi and the previous owner knocked down the lounge/hallway dividing wall to make it open plan. However when they installed the RSJ (76x76x2100mm) that didnt span the full length, instead installing a steel pole to support it (leaving 1300mm to the front wall). The last three joists toward the front of the house are therefore unsupported across the full span of the house. This was done as the RSJ would run into the concrete lintel that supports the wall above the front door.

To remedy this I intend to lower the concrete lintel above the door (possible as the door has a large head above it). Remove the existing RSJ and replace to span the full length and sit on top of the lowered concrete lintel.

Now... long winded I know, but can anyone see any problems with that before I get all gungho and get BC and SE in??

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
if the new steel beam happens to land on the concrete lintel mid span or on an unsupported section of the concrete lintel, then you may need to use something stronger than a concrete lintel., i.e. another section of steel beam.

that existing beam looks woefully inadequate.

but i guess the building is still up. ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The RSJ would sit just to the right of the unsupported section above the LHS of the door frame...

Its my guess thats why the pole ended up there! And yes inadequate doesn't come close, nice springy feeling underfoot in the bedroom above :eek: !

I wondered about using another steel above the door but the only option would be a catnic to allow bricking up after. Didnt think a catnic would be man enough??

Have also now added external photo showing existing lintel

can`t see why you`d want rid of such a nice pillar hee hee! :LOL:

if you remove the lintel from above the door leave a hole so r s j can be moved into place easier obviously taking the load with acro`s and scaffhold boards with a few spare to jack the new r s j into place a magnetic spirit level i find usefull to attatch to underside of r s j for leveling

good luck

what about an upright column at the end of the beam, butted against the wall to the left of the front door (looking from inside).

mind, this would require foundations.

...and cladding or boxing in.

mmmm?

obviously the S.E. & B.C. have the final say but i can`t see a problem with the r s j sitting on the concrete lintel above the door once it`s been lowered

one other thing i dont think it`s an r s j you have at the moment maybe a box steel or a piece of railway track i`ve came accross both before :eek:

Thanks for the info guys, always useful to get different perspectives!

Would a catnic be strong enough to support the RSJ?? Would allow the RSJ to be plated and bolted to the catnic then to tie the walls together... give a little more strength I think.

fitted an R S J bolted to another R S J but not a catnic so not sure on that i`m affraid
seems plausable though try googleing it :confused:

Right... thinking too much is hurting now...

Anyone qualified near to south B'ham or could reccomend someone??

Time to get the wallet out I think! :eek:

Yes a catnic lintel will be strong enough, if you get the right type. I used one above the upstairs window of my extension, and rested the end of a 7m long rsj on it. Made me wince and sweat a bit when I lowered it on....
Yes it was specified by the SE.
Actually I built up above the catnic a couple of courses before putting the rsj on - no doubt this made a difference to the calcs.
No additional fixings required!
Just looked at your photos - frankly not sure i'd bother. It'll be a heck of a big job for a small gain. You also need handrail and balustrades for your stairs, so the post could form the bottom newel. Taking out the existing lintel would be quite a job, and I'm sure you'd have to be pretty clued up about the procedure before starting.

Existing RSJ is unfortunately far from adequate...

The plan is to move the bathroom upstairs and the bath would sit where there is no support so needs to be done really before I do that.

Will get someone in to do the works, a little too much cutting and chopping out for my liking.

Right... thinking too much is hurting now...

Anyone qualified near to south B'ham or could reccomend someone??

Time to get the wallet out I think! :eek:
Not near Birmingham, but am an SE, so if you've got some plans - don't have to be spectacular - and some photos, can give you a fee, as it won't need a visit. Email addy on profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back