Installing Subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Ladies and Gents.

I moves into a house with a garage conversion and have been renovating from what the previous owners did. For the flooring they had installed carpet laid over hardboard, however there were signs that the hardboard had become damp over time. In order to improve upon this I planned to install a liquid DPM, followed by Primer, followed by a self-leveling compound before the carpet is installed.
I have installed the liquid DPM which is Wickes own brand (I wasn't intentionally trying to be cheap, but I was naive at the time of all the different liquid DPM's there are on the market) however I was not aware how sticky this coating remains, even after I have applied a primer to the surface. When I walk on the flooring so far it pulls up parts of the DPM, essentially making it useless until I apply more. My questions are:

Was this the right thing to do?
Is there a way to maneuver on the liquid DMP and primer well enough to install the self-leveling compound?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised that it's sticky. Are you sure that's right? (have you checked with Wickes?) My own experience is with using 2-pack (epoxy) DPMs beneath wooden flooring is that if the DPM is still sticky after 24 hours it can only mean that the resin hasn't cured properly (out of date, badly stored, incorrect ratio of hardener to resin, etc) - so it all needs to come up and be redone. Not nice! Same goes for the green-blue DPM that we see floor layers using prior to screeding and laying vinyl, etc on commercial jobs. that DPM needs to dry thoroughly before they can lay the screed so it's often rollered on last thing in the day and left to dry overnight. That said I've often seen vinyl floorers and resin floorers alike donning donning spiky soles like these on their boots

Spiked Flooring Soles 001_01.jpg

to traverse still wet floors with minimal damage. Floor painters use similar tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi JobAndKnock,

The liquid dpm was a one-part solvent-free bitumen based compound rather than 2-part epoxy.
Like the idea of the spike shoes have not seen these before!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back