Installing toilet in loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house with an existing loft conversion and was wondering how easy it would be to partition it and install a toilet up there as well. The toilet would be on the same wall as the downstairs toilet, but not directly above it.
I am fully intending to pay a professional to do this, I can barely change the toilet roll without something going wrong, let alone install anything and get it to work.

Sponsored Links
Normally anything is possible with Building , the main factors for your Job is how to get a Cold Water Feed upto the Loft , the other thing is how to get the Sh*t out of the Loft !

The Cold Water is only a 15mm supply , But the Waste is via a 4" Soilpipe , this can usually be routed through the eaves part of the Loft , But each loft is different

One thing I would`nt advise is going with a Saniflo , when those things kick in , it`ll waken up all the Family if it is used overnight !

An overhead Plan of the Loft and 1st Floor would help the Guys give you ideas , Or get a Plumber in who`ll advise you , usually foc ( as long as he`s going to do the Work ... and not you LoL )

Lucky

Thanks for the reply, the water tank is in the loft already, so hopefully that's part one solved.
The toilet can back onto the externall wall, so I was hoping that the waste pipe would just go through that wall and meet up with existing waste pipe?

I'm hoping this will be straightforward as all my other ideas seem to be becoming really complicated

Yes , sounds straightforward , just get a decent fall on the Soil Pipe if running Horizontally and all will be cushty

Best of luck

Lucky

Sponsored Links
Water supply sounds straightforward enough, but as Phil has said, the soil is the awkward part. Depending on where existing soil pipes are will determine ease of adding a connection. What is the current arrangement in that vicinity?

Oh, and yes, Saniflo's are best avoided if at all possible! ;)

While you are at it.
Go to combi boiler or unvented cylinder then you won't need a water tank
in the loft saving more space up there.

Try to put the new toilet so it keeps the run of soil pipe as short as possible.
Keep it simple.

The house is typical Edwardian, wider front of house then a narrower kitchen. We are planning on building a side return extension to make the kitchen as wide as the rest of the house. The current soil pipe is currently coming down on the outside of the kitchen wall from the upstairs toilet., but I think it's going to be moved to the edge of the extension at the existing wide point of the house. The loft toilet would be over the front of the house, so I'm hoping that pipe can meet the other one a meter or so across .
We are getting a new combi boiler, and I have no intention of ever even going near a saniflo, my dad serviced a few in his time and was never a happy man after! Put me right off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back