Installing wiring for a bathroom extractor fan)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aspira Inline KL 10/4 T with electronic timer that allows the fan to work normally when the bathroom light is switched on, providing a programmable delay function when the light is switched off.

Unfortunately the plumber was an unqualified crazy fitter and did not understand the wiring, paid in cash he took the instructions and lost them and refuses to return. The fitter has the three numbered fan terminals connected to the pull switch as follows:-
No.1 was wired brown, No.3 was wired blue and No.2 has no wire at all with the cable earth wire chopped off.

I have searched the net and found you do need all 3 fan connections.
The extractor fan needs wiring to the bathroom light via a triple pole switch, this disconnects the live, switched live and Neutral.
TERMINAL 1 = SWITCHED LIVE
TERMINAL 2 = PERMANENT LIVE
TERMINAL 3 = NEUTRAL

The three wires from the extractor fan should be wired as follows-
Triple pole TERMINAL 1 TERMINAL 2 TERMINAL 3
Fan SWITCHED LIVE PERMANENT LIVE NEUTRAL

Unquote

I need my bathroom working and I am willing to ask a friend to fit to avoid more cost to myself, and have sent an email to Aspira in Italy for the wiring without any luck.
Can anyone please help me, if I can obtain precise instructions, in particular about connecting the light switch live and neutral to the triple pole unit and the need to use earth wire as a “Live”.

Sponsored Links
You need to take a 3 core twin and earth to the fan.
if you have neutrals at your switch then its quite simple for a DIYer.

At switch :-
Permanent live (L1)- connect your brown / Red
Switched live (L2) - connect your Black / yellow
Neutral ( in a connector ) - connect Grey / blue

Connect the 3core through a fan isolator and do the same connections at the fan.
If you dont have neutrals at the switch you will need to find the joint box which supplies the bathroom light and identify your permanent, sw. lives and neutrals and take the 3core from there through the isolator
U could also look at the wiki section as i'm sure this has been covered before.

PS - DO NOT use the earth wire as a LIVE :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back