How to connect Bathroom extractor fan

Sponsored Links
in what scenario would there be red and blue? that implies he has a bodge of old and new wiring.
it should either be black and red
or
brown and blue.
No it doesn't. Take a look at three core and earth cable colours prior to harmonisation.

Sponsored Links
If i test the yellow wire to see if its live when switched on and dead when its switched off that should confirm that it is the switched live ? Am I correct by saying that

Terry If i test the yellow wire to see if its live when switched on and dead when its switched off that should confirm that it is the switched live ? Am I correct by saying that

Not one of those screwdrivers is it ? If so bin it , they are not reliable .You need a multimeter or a twin probe voltage tester ,minimally ,to do safe testing on live circuitry.

Its this one

Attachments

• 6BCED1A2-5A2D-4F91-97FE-F4E7D4953C37.png
    6BCED1A2-5A2D-4F91-97FE-F4E7D4953C37.png
    200 KB · Views: 66
Ok terry you have a lot more knowledge about this than me , wouldnt that give me an accurate reading for the yellow wire to see if its live when it’s switched on and dead when its switched off or is that just me being nieve?

It won't give you an accurate reading but it should tell you if there is a voltage on it when you switch on. Keep the wire you are checking as far away as you can from the other wires & as near to the end of the wire as possible. If the fan still does not work when you reconnect then you will need a multimeter to check across lives & neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back