Instant hot water taps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry not sure if this should be in electrics or plumbing.
I'm buying a cottage which has no water heating system other than those old fashioned electric instant water heaters so looking at alternatives. There is no gas in the village so a costly oil fired installation or electric are the only options.
A friend suggested those instant hot water taps.
Does anyone have any experience of them? Would they be a cost effective option?

Sponsored Links
They are designed to be used in place of kettle and because they have a similar sized heating element, they produce hot / boiling water at a similar rate as a kettle. They cost about £1,000 plus installation.

cost-effective option is a vented (lower initial cost) hot water cylinder on Economy 7 off-peak electricity IF you have electric storage heaters as well (or use next to no daytime electricity). Daytime electricity is more expensive on Eco 7.

They are designed to be used in place of kettle and because they have a similar sized heating element, they produce hot / boiling water at a similar rate as a kettle. They cost about £1,000 plus installation.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
cost-effective option is a vented (lower initial cost) hot water cylinder on Economy 7 off-peak electricity IF you have electric storage heaters as well (or use next to no daytime electricity). Daytime electricity is more expensive on Eco 7.
Thanks. I do have storage heaters. It's such a small easy to heat cottage I don't want to install central heating. I'll be getting a plumber round but it helps to know about some of the options. Just wondering if there will be any grants available.

Thanks. I do have storage heaters. It's such a small easy to heat cottage I don't want to install central heating. I'll be getting a plumber round but it helps to know about some of the options. Just wondering if there will be any grants available.

You have ruled out Oil Heating, as you already have Storage Heating System, have you looked into the prospect of Solar Panels fitted on the roof or elsewhere in the garden.
You can get a grant for these
part of the Electricity generated goes into your domestic supply the rest into the National Grid for which you are paid for, and can make a significant lowering of the Leccy Bill.
For someone that relies on Electricity as a sole fuel Solar Panels are worth looking into, beware of the problems though !

You have ruled out Oil Heating, as you already have Storage Heating System, have you looked into the prospect of Solar Panels fitted on the roof or elsewhere in the garden.
You can get a grant for these
part of the Electricity generated goes into your domestic supply the rest into the National Grid for which you are paid for, and can make a significant lowering of the Leccy Bill.
For someone that relies on Electricity as a sole fuel Solar Panels are worth looking into, beware of the problems though !

Very high initial cost though and payback is donkey's years but many seem to ignore that!

I wondered about solar panels. The house next door has them. Will have a word with the neighbours.

Easy enough to fit but most domestic supplies will only allow for one, although you might get away with two in some places. They work well enough but the flow rate is carp, you could p!$$ faster

There is a range of instant hot water taps that are intended to replace a kettle. At the low end there's one by insinkerator around £350 and the Quooker is around £1000. Then you go to Zip taps which cost a bomb and are more commercial. I've experienced all 3, the latter being in an office environment.

I have a Quooker at home for the last 4 years and I have to say it's fantastic. Not just for making tea and coffee but for cooking tasks - filling hot pans, blanching tomatoes and rinsing rice are quick and easy.

Not all of these taps give boiling water which you need for decent tea, the Quooker does. The others get into the mid 90s.

The Quooker keeps water under pressure at 125 degrees if I recall correctly. In a container like a thermos flask. The idea is that it costs much less to keep the flask hot than it does to keep boiling kettles that contain more than is what's required. I'm very happy with mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back