Instantaneous Water Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
In our flat, we have central storage heating and a seperate imersion heated hot water tank. We almost never switch it on as we never remember at night for the off-peak electricity, and apart from that, hardly ever have baths to need it.

So, our thinking was that we could get rid of the tank and fit an instatanious water heater. We only have the two sinks, bath and kitchen, and from the kitchen hot, the washing machine and dish washer.

All am I wondering is if this is a suitable replacement? I know the electrics would have to be installed by an electrician, being that they are usually 8~12 kw devices, but apart from that, it would be a nearly straight swap.

So, can we do this? Are these devices suitable for running the once in a blue moon bath?

All help, advice and comments welcome!

G

Sponsored Links
I think it is well worth having an instantaneous heater fitted if you do not use much hot water. You just heat what you need. :)
You will only be able to run one supply at a time though and will have a long wait to run your once in a lifetime bath. :LOL:

Just get a timeswitch fitted for the immersion heater, then it remembers, so you don't have to. :D

You don't mention owning an electric shower too: do you enjoy cold showers, or are you just really very rather smelly? ;)

Immersion timer is your best bet: they really aren't that expensive to run, and retaining your hot cylinder means you can have a nice pump fitted and drill the early morning doziness out of your head.

Sponsored Links
No, the neighbours complained that I was begining to smell like a pensioner so I got a shower fitted ;)

We have an electric shower, so that is why the bath rarely gets used. And the main motive for the removal of the tank is that it would give us spave to move the washing machine into the vacated space.
Theeeeeeenn, a full size dishwasher, instead of the mini one under the sink :D

ust get a timeswitch fitted
- Fair enough, but the watter would not really be getting used, except for the dishwasher and washing machine. And they heat it regardless.

have a long wait to run your once in a lifetime bath
- As it is, a bath has to be planned anyway, as we(and by we I mean her!!) need to remember to switch on the imerser anyway!

early morning doziness out of your head
- That's what a cool/cold shower is for :D Or really tasty strong coffee

Cheer guys
G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back