Instead of concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 50CM gap in the floor of half my basement flat. The flat next door and most of my flat has been concreted, so the ventilation is no longer efficient enough and the timber suspended floor in teh remainder of the flat has rotted.

So having spoken to an architect friend of mine, this is one solution he has suggested:

- Plaster hardfill (I have 2.5 tons of plaster that I chipped off the walls)
- Sand compacted
- DPM
- Insulation
- Reinforced screed 75MM

Thoughts? The idea is it saves on the cost of concrete and of removing the plaster. I know plaster contains sulphates that damage concrete (and screed?) but presumably the DPM will stop these from seeping through...

I am far from being a builder, so any advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You would need to be certifiably insane to want to use gypsum based plaster spoil as infill.

:LOL: thought it was only January not april?
think its either a screed or maybe a floating floor on the likes of jab-light?

That solves that then! :D

I'm going to go for sand, insulation and screed to raise the floor the 25CMs to match the rest of the basement. Why oh why did they not make the whole thing level in the first place?

Sponsored Links
I would be really disappointed if an architect had suggested hacked off plaster as oversight material. Did he really say that?

He did, though to his credit he was trying to help me find a solution to reduce costs. He highly recommended I spend the money and do it properly, but said it was one solution. He also only graduated last year...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back