Insulate Single Storey Extension with no Access & Haloge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I moved to a house with a single storey extension running the full width of the house which was quite cold last winter. The roof is pitched with concrete tiles. I have no access to the loft space to check the insulation but suspect it needs to be improved. I don't really want to disturb the ceiling and was considering removing the roof tiles, felt, cross-laying the insulation and then replacing everything ensuring that the roof felt runs to the gutter etc. I'd be grateful for advice on whether this is normal practice.

My second problem is that the ceiling is fitted with halogen down-lighters which probably adds to the draft. Would it be acceptable practice to protect each light with a plasterboard box (and keep the cables free) or should I fit intumescent hoods.

Sponsored Links
MattAdam said:
I'd be grateful for advice on whether this is normal practice.

No it isn't. How old is the extension and did it get building regs?

Why do you think the lights are alowing draughts? Are there gaps?

It would be a LOT less trouble and expense to cut yourself a hatch into the loft space.

Sponsored Links
The house was built in the early 1970s with the extension soon afterwards. I have an engineers report on the extension but this is no guarantee that it meets current building regs. The house was refurbished which is why I was trying to avoid cutting the ceiling. I was planning on removing just enough tiles to get access. Maybe I'm worrying too much about minor drafts etc and just getting cavity wall insulation will help.

It probably hasn't got any insulation at all as it was built in the 70s. 2-300mm insulation would be well worth it as would doing the walls. You may even be able to get a grant to subsidise your expenditure. Going in through the roof is really your call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back