Insulate stud wall, remove or fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Our solid wall house, the previous owner had stud walls put in with drywall all round the inside, but there is no rock wool or solid insulation in it, just fresh air about 50mm deep all round the house.

This might he daft question, but anyway to simply fill the gaps? Or do I need to remove the drywall, to fill with rock wool stuff then put drywall back?

Would this all make a big difference to my bills?

Sponsored Links
What is the material of the walls, and what sort of damp proof course do you have? You need to know at least those two things before you change anything

I've worked on jobs where the walls were soundblock PB onto resillient bars which work both as sound insulation, but which also keep the building warmer

Hi, solid brick walls built 1780.

Damp proof upto 20cm from ground from course of bricks for internal walls, probably none on solid walls that are three courses thick.

Sponsored Links
Hi, solid brick walls built 1780.

Damp proof upto 20cm from ground from course of bricks for internal walls, probably none on solid walls that are three courses thick.
In that case you need to consider where damp flows to if you prevent it from evaporating out of the surfaces. I have not seen your walls so cannot advise much more than that. It might not be a problem, but you might get damp patches if you block things off.

Presumably if I use rock wool that resolves that, but would there be a simple way to put in the insulation? Eg holes and fill or recommend pulling off the drywall?

Unscrew the drywall (assuming that it was put on by someone in the last 20 years and was taped and jointed - otherwise it's toast), stuff in the insulation, screw back on the PB/replace with new PB. Trying to make a hole and stuff in insulation results in big gaps and big gaps = cold spots. Insulation should be snug fitting with no gaps to work properly

Thanks. I think I'll try the smallest room first as has nothing attached to the wall, or radiator so see how hard to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back