how best to insulate stud walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me, I am doing up a house i just bought and in my last house hearing family on toilet was annoying. I am hoping to be able to insulate all the stud walls for sound and also to keep warmth inside the room, just wondered if there is any difference in using the ridged king span type or the soft wool type? Im going to insulate the floorboards too and was thinking to just stick the wool type down there.
Also my builder gets trade discount so was wondering which places are best for price?

Anyway suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
For sound I would say kingspan would be better than rockwool but a lot more expensive and the thicker kingspan the better.

I have used both recently and the board is more expensive but better - if you want real soundproofingyou can also get soundproofing board - again more expensive but might be worth the investment :)

noise reduction is very much dependent on mass of the material blocking the sound. You can get extra-dense mineral wool batts, which are much heavier than loft insulation, fot the job.

You must seal all gaps or cracks as noise will get through the weakest link. Expanding foam is good for that.

You might also consider a heavy fire door, which is better at blocking sound than a thin, light or hollow door.

Sponsored Links
For sound I would say kingspan would be better than rockwool but a lot more expensive and the thicker kingspan the better.

Kingspan is rubbish for sound insulation. You need Rockwool acoustic batts.

Cheers
Richard

when you install insulation in between studs you should leave a gap between plasterboard and insulation, otherwise the sound will vibrate through boards and through insulation.
I would suggest sound insulation which is denser.

when you install insulation in between studs you should leave a gap between plasterboard and insulation

Where did you read that?

Cheers
Richard
Gypsum Hand Book on stud walls.

And have you found it to be the case in practice?

Cheers
Richard
it's general practice in the construction Industry.
Gypsum Handbook is one of the bibles of partitioning together with other
plasterboard manufactures.
Usually sound insulation is thinner than normal insulation but has a bigger Density.
cheers
Bob

it's general practice in the construction Industry.

Acoustic slabs absorbs vibration, they don't transmit it. Possibly you're thinking about the timber frame itself - you can reduce sound tranmission by fixing resilient bars to the studs, and fixing acoustic plasterboard to those. Alternatively use two separate timber frames with a gap in the centre of the wall.

Cheers
Richard

If you try tapping on mineral wool quilt with drumsticks, you will not have any luck getting it to vibrate or transmit vibration.

This post is about sound insulation, so rigid foam is not the right material. Dense wool slabs can be in contact with the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back